VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm trying swap my front wheels w/ my rear wheels b/c there was an alignment problem, and the fronts are worn. I was planning on swapping them then having them aligned. Well I took off the front wheel fine, Then put the spare in its place and tried to take off the rear wheel. The sucker just won't come off, I did the same process as for the front wheel, took all the bolts off and...well...pulled. Nothing. Tried it on the other rear and same thing. Anyone know what could be happening?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Most likley they are seized. When i got my rims on this week the guy who put them on used a rubber hammer to try and knock it lose. They something like that.
jon

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Need more torque! Lemme guess the person or maybe dealership put the wheels on previously...most likely with an impact gun. Get pissed, get strong grab a long pipe stick it on over the lug wrench and crank it.

If you can get it horizontal and feel gutzy jam on it with your foot. Just make sure you got a tight fit on the lug or it's gonna strip.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
LOL. DB is right. When I changed my wheels last fall to the winter rims I had to perform that "Motorcycle Kick Start Maneuver" on one of the front wheels and 1 of the rears. I am hoping to change my wheels in the next couple of weeks, but this time I am going to use my bro's hoist and air wrench. Then tighten it up with torque wrench. During that time I am also going to put another 2 coats of red caliper paint on and trace the writing on the calipers with silver.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
yeah to loosen my bolts i almost always gotta stand on the wrench for a second or 2. i know its not good, but its the only way. but make sure the wrench is on all the way, otherwise you could royally fudge yourself!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had to do the same thing with mine. I had all the bolts off, then just had to wiggle like mad and they finally came off. Careful you don't rock the car off the jack. The usually helps too. get pissed then go to work on 'em

Impact Wrenches

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
My brother's impact gun won't over torque either, but he always uses the torque wrench after the "air" tool was used.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yeah, on the back of mine, I had to put one hand on the back of the tire and pull, while I put the other hand on the front and pushed. Once you get the wheel off, you may want to take a peice of steel wool and clean up the hubs so hopefully it won't happen again. A buddy of mine had to take his rims to a shop and have the center ground out alittle so they wouldn't get stuck on there.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I deal with the same problem at work all the time with trucks with alum. wheels. It happens because the alum.wheel and the steel hub are different metals and they seem to corrode when they touch each other. When they corrode it leaves a sorta white powdery substance. What i do at work to get them off is a few things.
1: Take rubber malet and hit the back side of the rim, but leave a lug nut on it loose because the when the rim pops off the face of the rim could hit the ground and damage it.
2: While in the air but make sure its on the stands good. Take your foot and kick the tire with the sole of your foot. It will usually will pop off. But again leave lug nut on hub.
3: And in some rare cases i have to heat the rim and hub up a little with torches and hit the backside of the rim with a sledge hammer just to free it up. If the rim moves a little when you hit it, spim the wheel 180 deg and hit there too. When the rim is off, make sure you put some "neversieze" on the hub. Just a little, the stuff i messy and it gets everywhere.

DB: I use my Impact gun all day long to put rims on cars. I never over torque them because we have these special sockets called "torgue sticks" they have all different sizes and torque ratings. I took the 17mm from work just for my VW, so I will never overtorque them.

Also sorry about the spelling. went to a party last night and im still sobering up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much for the advice guys. Yeah It's rubber hammer time; no need for me to get pissed beforehand, I just look at how much new tires are going to cost...that does the trick

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I had the same problem when I was painting my calipers last summer. some dickhead at the garage tightened the hell out of the lugs. So I took a long pipe, and put the wrench in the pipe, and pushed down(or pull up depends which way you are turning). that seemed to work good. and if you can, invest in a torque wrench. very good investment.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I always have to jump on a lug wrench to get mine off.But atleast they wont fall off while driving.I have see that happen already!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts