VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in about 2 weeks im going to get my chip.
My first concern is reliability. I dont want it to mess up my car and not be under warranty anymore.
My second concern is price. If i have to pay 500 bucks i will but it would be nice for a slightly cheaper alternative with reliability as well.
My last concern is performance. This could have been my first concern. I want to be able to feel a difference.
I know this topic has been talked about before but i want my questions answered. Please dont just tell me to search. If you guys asked something like this i would answer you if i could help, thanks.

·
Registered
500 Posts
OK, I know that people on this site don'y have a lot of experience with it, but I LOVE the Upsolute chip. It adds about 30-45 HP, and 50-60 lb/ft torque ad they run about $350. Really nice alternative to APR or Neuspeed

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
I know from reading here, that you can get a sertain type of chip that changes back to the stock program, so they dont cancel your warrenty.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always thought the reason why chipping voided our warranties was because you had to open up your ECU's in the installation and not so much the fact that you are running at higher than "stock" levels.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I know from reading here, that you can get a sertain type of chip that changes back to the stock program, so they dont cancel your warrenty. then, you can change it back to your "higher performance" program once you get it back. Im not sure how you do this, I just know it's possible. Other brands to check out: APR (www.goapr.com), GIAC (www.giacusa.com) hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by supertom9903:
OK, I know that people on this site don'y have a lot of experience with it, but I LOVE the Upsolute chip. It adds about 30-45 HP, and 50-60 lb/ft torque ad they run about $350. Really nice alternative to APR or Neuspeed<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That high a hp change? What would I see with the 2.0? (Understanding you get what you pay for...)

·
Registered
777 Posts
you wont get anything like that out of a N/A motor.... may be 10/15 hp....the only reason the 1.8 works that well is becouse it makes use of the neglected boost the turbo is capable of...

·
Registered
473 Posts
vdubturbo - It's definitely time to chip! Answers to your questions are as follows: In terms of reliability, if you choose from one of the major mfgs. you should be fine. Ex. APR, GIAC, Upsolute, Revo, Neuspeed, etc.

Upsolute and Neuspeed tend to be not as aggressive in terms of performance. (however I did hear that Upsolute is releasing a newer version with more boost soon) They are both a little cheaper…but you get what you pay for. And these chips do not put up the same hp/torque numbers as the other 3.

Giac is the most aggressive among the last three. Only downside is that you do not have tuning options and have to purchase a separate “stock” ECU if you plan on taking it back to the dealer “undetected” for warranty repairs.

Revo has a lot of hype right now because of their method of chipping. They directly flash over the existing software with their program so there is no need to open up the ECU and solder a new chip to the board. They also give you the opportunity to adjust your own settings with their hardware to “tune” for your current modifications. The downside to this deal is the huge lawsuit filed by APR against Revo. One of the masters (actually 2) behind this deal used to be players at APR. So at this point continuation of this deal is in the hands of the courts. Bad thing is support…if the injunction is issued, those who bought it may be screwed in the long run. See www.goapr.com for details on the lawsuit.

As for APR, you can’t go wrong with their stuff. It is proven, it’s reliable, and support is widely available. Another perk is that you can change the program given the current condition thru the cruise control. I have the 100 octane race program for the track and 93 octane for my daily drive. If you frequent the dealer, you can also opt for the “stock” mode, which will put the car’s boost and timing back to the stock settings…thus it becomes undetectable by the dealer. Depending on when you are looking to chip, APR is putting the finishing touches on their serial port programming option. Rumor has it, that they are releasing it in the next 3 weeks. This way they can just “upload” the new software without soldering a new chip to the board.

Regardless of what you choose…it is definitely a worthwhile mod and one you will feel right away.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NilesSoGarrol:
That high a hp change?...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The gains supertom posted, althought inflated, are close but he is talking about gains on the 150hp version of the AWW/AWD (150hp)engines and not the AWP (180hp) engine so, thus his range shoots up 30+ additianal horses. I hope I make sense...

[ July 07, 2003: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]

·
Registered
473 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NilesSoGarrol:
Thanks. I thought that would be a bit much for the money...oh well I can dream, right?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although the numbers were a bit inflated (probably crank data)...on a 1.8T regardless of the engine code it's a great mod.

Sorry Niles...the 2.0 will not benefit as much. Time for an engine swap
!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well i agree that you get what you pay for. I've had the APR chip and loved it. Although i haven't had any other chips i've seen testimonies about the other chips. Up chip's are good for the price, but you don't get the as smooth performance as APR or GIAC. Now between APR and GIAC most people say they are about the same and if you cant pick one out, just go with the dealer closest to you incase something goes wrong.
jon

·
Registered
30 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cyaneye:
Although the numbers were a bit inflated (probably crank data)...on a 1.8T regardless of the engine code it's a great mod.

Sorry Niles...the 2.0 will not benefit as much. Time for an engine swap
!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This just got me thinking....

any info where i can look for engines

1 - 12 of 12 Posts