VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanna set my timing to the proper values.
fourty1thirty said it should be at 8.but wich notch should i look at?
the dot,or the slash?
another thing.how much timing does the the car have in high revs!?

and the problem: my car doesn't knock.but after some hard pulls,it starts knocking...why is that!?!?!?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
1. You want to look at the dot cast into the flywheel, not the notch that is ground into it. The ground in notch is 6 degrees advanced and is there for people with timing lights that wont do advance.

2. I don't know the exact specs on your ignition control box, but I'd guess it's the same as the US one. 13 degrees "mechanical" (rpm based) advance, and 6 degrees vacuum advance. 13 mechical + 6 vacuum + 8 initial = 27 degrees "total" advance.

3. Because the engine is getting hot from the hard driving.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but 27 in high,shouldn't make it knock a lot!?!?!i thought that it would retard the ignition timing,not advance it!!!
so,get the dot and check the timing light ate 0,advance it to 6 or 8 and thats it!
i think we advanced it with the notch,so,maybe its someting like REALLY OFF!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and if the timing is a off,when it gets hot it knocks.if the timing is ok,when it gets hot,it wont knock?or is a problem in my car??

[ January 28, 2004: Message edited by: HidRo ]

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
If the timing is ok it shouldn't knock when it's hot.

27 degrees total isn't a lot for 7000rpm. The 327 in my Nova runs 36 degrees total.

If you're setting it at 8 degree off the notch you really have 14 degrees initial timing, which is a lot. Set it off the dot and see if it helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts