VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With the growing market for coilover suspension systems for the MK4 platform, it can be confusing on which setup is right for you and your MK4. Basically every coilover setup does the same thing. Allows you to set your ride height by adjusting collars that will raise or lower where the springs sit. this also effects the suspension travel. A lower ride height will have less suspension travel which can result in a rougher ride compared to an OEM suspension. A higher ride height will give you more travel and a more comfortable ride. Most Coilover setups on their highest setting will have a lower ride height than an OEM suspension. This Thread will go over what makes up the coilover suspension, different types, adjusting, Brands, and reviews.

lets break down what is in a MK4 Coilover Suspension. The Front suspension components of the coilover setup is a true "Coil-Over". meaning, Coil over the shock.

1. threaded coilover body(strut)
2. main spring
3. helper spring
4. strut nut
5. spring hat
6. Dust boot
7. Bumpstop
8. plastic dust cover
9. Plastic Spring Spacer
10. adjusting collars
The rear is much different. it remains the same as OEM just using a much shorter spring and shock. also uses a adjustable spring perch.

Most Setups don't come with instructions. So when you lay everything out this is what you get. some companies components look different but function the same way.

Now there are a few different options that coilover companies offer.
1. Dampening Adjustable
This allows the user to adjust the firmness or softness of the suspension.this is a really good option to those who drive spirited or even autocross. you can set the suspension for a sporty aggressive ride or soft and comfortable for daily driving. most front adjust from under the hood at the top of the strut. most companies supply a tool for doing this.
[/IMG]

Rear adjustment can be simple as turning a knob of the bottom of the rear shock or require removing the rear shock from the car to do so.
simple adjustment

requires removing the shock and following the companies procedure for adjustment.

2. Threaded and adjustable strut body
only a few companies offer this option. this allows the user to adjust the overall length of the strut body. this will allow for more ride height adjustment and more suspension travel.

Adjusting the Coilovers
The Coilovers can be adjusted once installed. adjusting the fronts is done with the use of the 2 supplies collar wrenches. turning the collars down towards the bottom of the coilover body will lower the ride height.

adjust both sides evenly and check the ride height to be sure it is even. sometimes fine adjustment is required.
the rears adjust similar but since the spring is separate from the shock, the spring sits on the perch which has the adjustment collars. adjusting the rear is the same concept as the front.

again measure to make sure the ride height is even.

Brands
Right now there are easily over 10 different manufactures of coilover suspensions for the mk4. prices range from $300 to over $1500. choosing which one is for you comes down to budget and options. do you want spend $1000+ or spend less. usually cheaper coilover suspensions don't last as long, do not offer dampening adjustability or have threaded bodies. these are considered your entry level coilover. most are around $500.
too be continued...

Brand: Raceland Coilovers
Miles driven on: 40,000
Spacers: ran 33mm adapters
FTG: 23.75in
Price: $279 (2009)
Purchased at: eBay
Other Information: Ran them for over 3 years. Only real complaint was a little bouncy and soft spring rates. Bodies got rusted too. Rear shocks did not last long.

Brand: FK Highsport
Miles driven on: 15,000+
Spacers: Yes. 5mm
FTG: 23.75
Price: bought used. New around $850
Purchased at: locally
Other Information: bought used. Replaced the inserts and rear shocks with Koni dampening adjustables. Ride really great. Bodies resist rust. Only downfall is they don't go as low as most coilovers. Much stiffer than racelands.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great thread, FUBAR! Definitely answers tons of questions people have about coilovers. Were the first couple of pictures using the regular Racelands?

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. They were my first set of coilovers. Lasted 40,000 miles. Ill update the thread tomorrow if possible. Digging up more info. Going to post all the brands and websites they can be bought at.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any mods want to add to this feel free.
Also anyone want to throw up a review I made up a guide to use. Just copy and paste and fill in.
I will edit the thread and post it in the first post so it stays up top.

Brand:
Miles driven on:
Spacers: Y/N (if yes what size)
FTG: (fender to ground measurement)
Price:
Purchased at:
Other Information:
Also will help to post a picture of the coilovers, the car or an install process pic.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Come on, throw up some reviews. I know others got coils on here.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't want to get too into offsets and stuff since it can't be applied to all wheels. Anyone can add that I. The other info spot.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
well the only reason i said that was because some wheels wont work with some of the coil overs do to being to close to the lower spring seat.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Almost all of them won't work without a 5mm spacer. I'm still not completely finished with the write up. Going to list all the brands, links and then was going to get into things to consider when buying the coilovers.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Really depends on you tyre. If you're running a 195 you have a good chance of safety 205+ you're screwed.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Nope. Your sway bars position could be compromised if you lower your car down far enough. Axel will hit it.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Really depends on you tyre. If you're running a 195 you have a good chance of safety 205+ you're screwed.
195? Almost no one runs 195's.

Rule of thumb with any coilovers when running STOCK wheels, you should buy atleast 5mm spacers.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i have the stock 15s on the front of the golf now with no problems, its when you run a bigger wheel then stock say like a 8.5 in front. but fubar will get to that soon enough.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wanted to go air ride, but am now leaning towards coils for my first lowering system. Most likely won't be until mid to late summer. I'm looking at getting the Solowerks S1 system. 1"-3" lowering capabilities, a 3 year warranty, plus a zinc coating for corrosion resistance seems like a decent set up for $500. Will be using this thread for installation assistance, and will definitely write up a little review once I actually have it installed.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Even on stock 17's most will rub. But definitely 8's and wider almost never clear. Offsets play such a big part it makes my head hurt trying to explain it. Best thing is when you buy coilovers be prepared for your wheels and tires to rub. Always make sure you have the clearance. Most of the time you will if the collars are spun up far enough. But once you start lowering it more that's when the collars get close to the tire and lip on the wheels. My stock beetle steel wheels will fit with out spacer if I have the collars spun up high enough. Any lower they dig into the tires. But if I have the 5mm spacers on I can go low as I want even with the chunky stock size tires.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts