VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am going to get a cam chip and a pulleys what should i get next (slightly regreting the vr motor) i want a turbo but too unreliable?

·
Registered
745 Posts
GTIVR62801 has a vr6 and he is getting the big valvue head. Vr6 are great engines with lots of displacement. If you don't want a turbo or a supercharger then your going to have to open the motor up and do some motor work. Theres no way around it. By the way work sucks right? We should defentaly drink tonight.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
You wont need to open the motor to run low boost levels. F/I vr6 can be very reliable, just do it the right way the first time. We had a very very good debate/discussion on this in an earilier post. If you looking for power, you wont get it from the N/A vr6...Cam, Chip, Pulleys, Intake, Exhaust, Intake Manifold...and your about done with bolt ons...next step is F/I...its common for people to think that they are not reliable, but after the discussion we had, I now know otherwise...ill try to find it for you...

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Turbos can be reliable on a VR, but will require lots of tuning to run right. Supercharging is a lot easier to accomplish, as VF-Engineering has done all the hard work for that already. Besides that, your basic mods for the VR are:

Chip
CAI
Cat-Back exhaust system

Personally, I have all of the above (GIAC, AEM, Milltek respectively) plus a Turn2 Lightweight crank pulley (shaves 5 pounds of weight off the crank) and a Ported MAF housing (eliminates restrictions on the intake path for more airflow). My future mods are as follows:

Big Valve Head (already have the head, just gotta port/polish and install big valves)
Forced Induction Camshafts
VF-Supercharger with custom programming to handle the cams and big valves...

To this point, I have heard of nobody who has run the VF charger with cams. I will attempt to make it work, with the proper programming if GIAC will work with me on it...

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
Turbos can be reliable on a VR, but will require lots of tuning to run right. Supercharging is a lot easier to accomplish, as VF-Engineering has done all the hard work for that already. Besides that, your basic mods for the VR are:

Chip
CAI
Cat-Back exhaust system

Personally, I have all of the above (GIAC, AEM, Milltek respectively) plus a Turn2 Lightweight crank pulley (shaves 5 pounds of weight off the crank) and a Ported MAF housing (eliminates restrictions on the intake path for more airflow). My future mods are as follows:

Big Valve Head (already have the head, just gotta port/polish and install big valves)
Forced Induction Camshafts
VF-Supercharger with custom programming to handle the cams and big valves...

To this point, I have heard of nobody who has run the VF charger with cams. I will attempt to make it work, with the proper programming if GIAC will work with me on it...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be great if you paved the way for that - then I could consider getting some cams followed by a reliabe VF system. As it stands now I kind of feel like I am limited on things I can upgrade without plunking down some huge cash on a FI system. I like the idea of slowly building up power and not having to spend too much all at once. With the VR that seems like a tough path since it ultimately ends with FI....

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Well, with the above said...if anyone wants to sponsor this effort, I am more than willing to be sponsored and show up at all the VW shows (I'll be there anyway)...oh well, its worth a try anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts