VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all

looking for a new vehicle... basically boiled my selections down to the acura RSX-S or the GTI VR6... anyone have experience in both?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
My sis has the RSX-S and loves it. But the VR6 will have more power in the low end then the RSX. Test drive them both and see what YOU like. My sis was going to get a Jetta but they had a used RSX-S with only 3,000 miles on it for less $$$.
jon

·
Registered
7 Posts
the RSX-S is nice, especially with the K20A2 powerplant, however, if you're going to go with a GTI, why not get the 1.8T powerplant? overall, you'll be able to get more HP out of it than the VR6. The RSX-S has about 200 HP, like the VR6, and is also limited by the fact that it's N/A, you can get a turbo for it, but be prepared to pay out of you butt for it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2000 GTI VR6 and love the car, I've also driven the RSX Type S.

Here's my take on both:

RSX- excellent handling, but engine needs to be revved really hard to get any real torque. that means if you want to get the seat of the pants type acceleration you have to be up around 5k or so rpm which isn't that practical for city driving. off the line you don't get near the kind of torque you get with the VR6. reliability wise the acura is superior though.

VR6- handling isn't as competent as the acura- rides more like a normal car, not really sport inspired, but you simply can't beat the smoothness and power of the engine and the refined nature of the ride.

drive both- see what you think.

Hugh.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hugh 2000GTIVR6:
VR6- handling isn't as competent as the acura- rides more like a normal car, not really sport inspired, but you simply can't beat the smoothness and power of the engine and the refined nature of the ride.

drive both- see what you think.

Hugh.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

o.k... i went to the dealers (both acura and VW)... i really liked the RSX-S... but i can't deal with the leather...

the VW looks nice, interior is very clean, and i generally liked the car... but they only had a 1.8T and turbos are not my thing... one thing i noticed which sort of turned me off was the loose feel of the transmission, especially after having driven the RSX... is the VR6 also have loose gates and/or vague shifting?

·
Registered
167 Posts
coming from a 98' integra gsr the GTI does not feel as sporty as my integra did. My integra was extremely fun to drive and i can assure i had no problem getting the revs up around town, you just have to drive the car differently. This what i have experienced going from a very high reving car to the GTI, kind have to relearn.

When i jumped into my 02' VR6 i was so surprised by the torque i never had before. I could feel a real difference in that respect. The GTI interior is much nicer then my integra interior. I have the 6sp transmission and it does not feel vague at all, seems quite precise.

Granted the rsx and gsr are different cars i just wanted to add my personal experiences from driving each back to back. If your wondering why i'm not driving my integra because it was stolen and a big reason i did not buy the rsx was because i was concerned it would happen again since they seem to be popular.

·
Registered
25 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
the VW looks nice, interior is very clean, and i generally liked the car... but they only had a 1.8T and turbos are not my thing... one thing i noticed which sort of turned me off was the loose feel of the transmission, especially after having driven the RSX... is the VR6 also have loose gates and/or vague shifting?[/QB]
Marcus-

The transmission and feel of the shifter on the Acura is more precise than the VR6. But, that hasn't bothered me at all when driving it. I'd still encourage you to drive the VR6-I think you'll really like the torque curve.

Hugh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts