VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm looking at buying a 2004 or 2005 golf TDI
is there anything I should look for when buying the car?

are there any common problems with these cars/motors?

I have owned an audi in the past and I know ther expensive to maintain,
how are these cars on the maintenance?

Thanks in advance
J-P

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
The later models didn't have a whole lot wrong with them. Awesome gas mileage and very easy to upgrade and make torquelikea mofo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't give you great advice on the golf TDI but I can give you the general advice that you probably should go for it and i'm sure you will be more than satisfied. You will "get torquelikea mofo" and get greaaaaatttt gas mileage. I have only had a couple problems with my 2006 volkswagen jetta tdi sedan and those were not anything that differed from any other car other than maybe my clutch plate. The diesel jetta has different shifting feel making the clutch plate have to remain engaged longer than other cars unless that is just a problem that I need to get fixed =(. But basically, the diesel and turbo is great, giving great gas mileage, torque and it runs cleaner and cooler and with diesel gas prices reaching nearly an all time low in comparison to unleaded, you would be best off getting such a car. Hope this helps =)

·
Registered
8 Posts
some common TDO repair/maint issues..

only issue to be aware of for the TDI models is the diesel filter; on the MKV models this filter interval is more strict than prior models. I have an '02 and '06 TDI Jetta and the NAPA guy where I get parts (he previously worked at the VW dealer in town) recommended diesel filter changes on the '06 TDI every 30k..

for the '02 I have been sticking with 40k to be safe as the filters are cheap..tow trucks are not...

An issue I had with the '02 which is common to most VW in general was the ignition switch went bad and smoked my starter..ign switch was only 30.00 to replace however..the ignition switch issues with VW are common; don't hang tons on keys on your keychain while in the ignition as it will accelerate the process...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Go with a Manual transmission (if you can). They get better fuel mileage and are less prone to failure. The older slushbox auto trans are not known for their longevity. The newer DSG tranmissions need filter and fluid changes at 40k miles and will run you almost $400 at a shop. I wish I had known this before I purchased my '09 with DSG. I believe the longevity of the DSG is unknown at this time as they are fairly new (3-4 years).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts