VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a third brake light that randomly goes dead on my 2014 Passat Variant (this is the wagon version in EU). I get the notice on the dash "Check third brake light!" and the light itself will not work until it comes on again randomly or if I disconnect and reconnect.

If I pull out the brake light fixture from the hatch door, physically disconnect and reconnect the wiring, it will immediately work again when I press the brake pedal. It will work fine for a day -- sometimes even less, then it will randomly start going out and then working again sometimes an hour later until it might happen again later that day or even a few minutes later.

The light itself appears to be working fine as far as the bulbs and the fact that it works if I disconnect and reconnect, is telling me it's probably not at the brake pedal switch area or on the light itself. Am I right in thinking it's something in the connector? Or something else?

What is it that I would need to replace or that I should further check? Pics or link would be great. Thanks for any input here, trying to easy fix this myself instead of bringing in before the car is due for inspection in a few weeks.

I'm in Europe and the full version of the Passat is a 2014 Volkswagen Passat Variant / Comfortline Edition 40 1,4 TSI 90 kW DSG-automatic. BlueMotion Technology -- it's the family size wagon type Passat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try cleaning the connections for the brake light and see if that works. That's all I got. Hope you figure it out

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, would you think a dab of rubbing alcohol on a q-tip to the metal part of connectors would be a good way to clean them or some other way?

Someone else had mentioned to me it could be the rear wiper hose leaking, which he said would require replacement of the entire cable stack (includes wiring and wiper hose) that runs alongside the whole side of car, which would be a messy fix. 😕

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yea rubbing alcohol wouldnt be back evaporate very quick just dont drench the whole connection. Hopefully ur rear washer is fine but wouldnt hurt checking it out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts