VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or anyone else that can provide input. Sorry to do it like this db, but the PM's aren't working.

Hey dude,

When you did your sport springs, did you install em yourself or did you have someone do it for you? Also, you havn't replaced the sway bar yet have you? You run into any problems there? Reason I'm asking is because a friend of mine just go the sport springs for his MkIV Jetta and I was going to install em for him, I've just never done it. I've done 2 MkIII Jetta's and a Nissan 240sx, but everyone say's an MkIV is a pain. Any insight you can give on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks dude.

John

Again, sorry to start a new thread for this, but this is the only way I can do it.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
hey hows it goin.
well i had a buddy of mine do he has a vw shop in camden. its more of like a wharehouse where they make strut bars and stickers and work on dubs. its called veexdub
anyway, i was there while he did it, it took like 3.5 hrs and it looked like the biggest bitch in the world!! it took them forever to get the front struts off, even though i didnt get front struts the springs are still mounted to them. youll need a spring compressor which you can get for like 15 bucks at pepboys. and on the pas. side, you have to un atatch the subframe i think it was to get more play in the strut so you can wiggle it out esier. as for rear. well that took about 15 min, unbolt, swing arm falls, place spring in, re-attatch.

as for sway bar, no you dont need one, i had no problems what soever with mine, however i am going to get a shine rear sway for hadleing. its 200$ and its the best one out there because it attatches to a different place than all the other ones (i forget where though but it makes it much stiffer than the competitors.)

if anyone wnats a strut bar custom made.i think they are 60 and in any color and they are dual bar. contact veexdub or me.
hope all this rambling helps..
rich

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Dubwink is 100% correct in all aspects there.
I had mine installed by my bro. The front ones are a bi$%$ch the rear are piece of cake. Don't forget to do the alignment after the install though. VW uses a special tool to align the rear wheels, the front ones are standard procedure.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I think I should have gotten mine aligned after I got my sport suspension put on. I just had to get 4 new tires. the guy at sears said that my rear wheels were so messed up, the where pointed a bit out and "dragging" the tire along a bit, so the inside tread was worn very badly-bald. so def spend the $40 or so to get it aligned, and keep your wheels rotated. ramble ramble ramble...hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
like everyone has said, the fronts are a bitch! to get my bro's bottom side in, he had to drive off the curb and back on it for the one side to pop in. we couldnt get it to go in for the life of us so that was the best option we could think of. i wouldnt recommend it cuz he could have fucked everything up, but for us, it got everyhting in perfectly! we just slid the bottom screw in and it was all good. oh and teh alignment, whenever you do suspension, its like the #1 rule to get that done! even if you just take off a strut or something, you gotta do it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts