VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been just trying to find a simple little guide on how to clean my throttle body just so I know exactly what I'm doing. Does anyone have one bookmarked they can give me?

Also how do I remove the air intake hose from the PCV? It was being a pain yesterday when I was doing my spark plugs and had to lift up my intake manifold. (I didn't have a u-joint extension...) So I left it on there but its dirty as all hell. Is there any specific approach for getting it off? I just don't want to break the PCV.

And by the way, I do have a new throttle body gasket so I can remove it for a full cleaning. And how gentle should I be to not throw it out of alignment? Cause I dont have an OBD-2 computer/connection to use yet.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Disconnect the vacuum hose from top of throttle body, and disconnect from pcv. Pinch the clamp and slide it up the hose, then just slip the hose off pcv. Remove clamp from intake hose to throttle body and slide it off. You'll see throttle body valve now, soak it in throttle body cleaner, then scrub with a toothbrush. Then reverse of removal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should I remove the throttle body or just clean what I can without?

To give you an idea of how dirty it might be, the intake hose is covered in sludge on the inside. Like if you had just ran oil through it real quick.

Also I heard the intense amount of sludge build up in the intake hose has something to do with the air way not closing when the engine is off?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
The oil in the tubes is normal, dont worry about that.

Since you have a new throttle body gasket go ahead and take the throttle body off. Then you can clean it from all angles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lastly is a vag-com connection setup required to realign the tb?
Or can I just use the key in run position method without starting the car till it stops making sound and is fully aligned?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
I have never done any of those, i always just put everything back together and start the car up. Then drive away. No problems.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome. Thats what I figured but didn't want to risk it since I'm running on broke status and need my car to run for work. Lol. Thanks though and I appreciate it. I will most likely give the throttle body a good cleaning once I get my TO Bearing kit here. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts