VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is the issue.
i have a 90 golf 8v. got it a few months ago.
it has a tick to it. kinda like a lifter tick. i tried to run a thicker oil thru it but it is still there. i also ran some injector cleaner in it to see it is maybe a injector tick( have seen some cars where it was the case.

i just ordered a bentely manual for it so i can go thru the car and fix some other stuff on it.
the only thing i have done to it so far is a cat back exhaust. it was doing it before i had that put on. i just want to get some ideas of stuff it might be. i kinda want to make sure it isnt too life threatening. it is a daily driver, but i am planning on dropping a new engine in it this spring after i get it machined up.

thanks a lot,
Trevor

·
Registered
394 Posts
i dont know how you write it...but
the thing were the spark plugs connect to,has a "fine tuning"...this could be over the especified place...hope you understand.can someone translate this i just said to current english!?

HidRo

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
it's just gonna o that. It's a hydro lift head. the lifters wear and they tap. Mine started ayt 75,000 miles. The only thing that'll fix is to pull the head off and overhaul the head. I tried evrything possible and nothing worked. but i know people who just left it go and it tapped for years and never hurt anything. it's just annoying. sorry for the bad news. That's one reason why i went with a solid lifter head, has a little rattle but it's way better than the tapping sound.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
New lifters are $10 each, you can replace them without replacing / pulling the head. Usually fixes the problem.

If your car has a lot of miles on it it's possible that your oil pump is taking a crap. In which case you might want to think about a new motor. I have seen people replace the oil pumps on 170K mile motors and keep driving them trouble free.

Also check the gaskets between the head and the ex. manifold

[ September 21, 2003: Message edited by: Fourt1thirty ]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks a lot guys.
at least i have a place to start now. i just want to make sure it is gonna last thru the winter til its time to drop the new engine in.
it does quiet down a bit after i run it in the highway for a bit. but if i gotta deal with it then i have to.

thanks again for the input,
Trevor

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by audiomechanic:
thanks a lot guys.
at least i have a place to start now. i just want to make sure it is gonna last thru the winter til its time to drop the new engine in.
it does quiet down a bit after i run it in the highway for a bit. but if i gotta deal with it then i have to.
thanks again for the input,
Trevor
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you just want it to last until spring then i wouldn't even waste time with it. Just let it go until then. Mine tapped for 6 months until i swapped on my other head.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts