VW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im guessingnoone recommends doing this themself (to someone not that experienced)?
anyone have it done and have a rough guess on how much it cost? im surei can just call a shop and ask but, i dont know. i prolly will. kinda just wanna know how hard it is?

·
Registered
368 Posts
$300-$1000..depending on the shop..Most places suggest doing a water pump while down there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got a quote from my local VW dealer for right around $900. That was for replacing the timing and serpentine belts, the water pump, timing belt tensioner, etc. I bought this '01 Jetta last year from the original owner and the belt had never been changed on it (140,000 miles). I did it myself and it wasn't that hard, but I have a fair amount of mechanical experience. The water pump does need to be replaced if it's original... half of the plastic impeller on mine was broken off.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The water pump doesn't have to be replaced, but you have to take it off anyway, no sense in taking it off twice if you have to replace it within a couple thousand miles...

I had mine done at a shop specializing in VW's. $800, labor and parts.

·
Registered
368 Posts
thanks god I do all of it myself lol

Dealers make a killing on jobs like this.

·
Registered
368 Posts
buy a timing gun, and your good

·
Registered
368 Posts
whats QFT stand for ? I never understood it lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
Whoa... buy a timing gun??? What for? It won't help you a bit. You're interested in keeping the orientation of TDC of the crankshaft mechanically aligned with the timing mark on the camshaft... this is done by visually lining up a couple of marks on both. If you try to run the engine while it's not in alignment, you'll more than likely bend some valves.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts