VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm thinking about buying a 2000 Jetta GLS 1.8 Liter. I can get it cheap but it needs a timing belt and is at this point undrivable. My friend is a car guy and says he can change it for me for free but he wants to know if it is an "Interface Motor"? I don't really know what that means so I was hoping you guys could help me out?

Thanks,
Mitchell

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice

If I do end up buying it I'm sure I'll be back with more questions lol.
Thanks for the Help

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
woooow...

let me start off by saying yes these motors are "interferance motors" which means that if u break a timing belt and the engine is still running u will bend your valves from the piston hitting them when it reaches top dead center.

second off make sure ur "Buddy" knows what he is doing if he throws the timing off its a real pain to get it back into the right timing.

third follow this to a tee when ur doin the timing belt

VWVortex.com - Ultimate Timing Belt DIY!

make sure BEFORE you buy the car that the timing belt is intact or if it is snapped.

if it is snapped drive the price wayyyyyyyyyyyyy down considering you are probably looking at some head and valve work in order to get this car running right

if its still intact u can drive it down and just say that it hasnt been done so i wanna pay less considering i need to get this done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts