VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I'm Chuck and I have a '96 VW Jetta, 2.0L SOHC, and there's a weird issue with it.

I recently replaced the cylinder head and gasket, and I'm trying to set the timing. Here's my problem: the Haynes manual I'm working from says this (with no pictures for my engine):
"On the 2.0L engine (code ABA) the flywheel/driveplate has markings which can be observed by removing a protective cap from the transaxle bellhousing. When this mark is aligned with a corresponding reference mark on the bellhousing casting, it indicates that No. 1 cylinder is at TDC (provided that cylinder No. 1 is on the compression stroke)."

Unfortunately I can't find these markings on my own vehicle.
I did find a youtube video which showed the mark for a related vehicle:

But I can't find the same mark on my Jetta, and actually the bellhousing looks different from what is shown in the youtube video (ie no threads and smaller):

Can anybody tell me if I'm just missing the mark? or if this bellhousing might be a different one from the manufacturers? or if I'm just barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Ok, so I managed to get this back together and lined up correctly after a bit more reading and testing. According to the Haynes manual there's a timing mark on the distributor indicating TDC piston 1,

so I matched it up and found a mark in a different opening on the bellhousing. Then I used Nail polish to paint my own mark so i could find it easily if I ever needed to again.

I'm not sure which is exactly the correct mark, or how it's supposed to be lined up because this opening definitely doesn't match the Haynes manual, but the car starts and runs ok and hasn't set any codes.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only issue is this requires the distributor to be correctly installed in the first place. As I understand it, installing the distributor requires the engine block to be properly aligned already, and since I had only replaced the head and not the block, I was able to use this method. Not sure how helpful this will be for anybody who had to rebuild the engine block itself.

Hope this helps anybody else who might have the same problem :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts