VW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice on tires. I have been looking at some less expensive summer tires recently for spring time and have two sets in mind. I wonder if anyone else has others in a similar price range as cost is a big factor in this purchase.

My 3 main concerns are:
Cheap
Grippy
Predictable cornering

the two tires I am looking at currently are:
Federal SS595 (I had these on the CHs and must be ordered online) ~$420 w/mount/balance
and
Falken 512 (can be purchased locally) ~$410 w/mount/balance

Any others you have experience with and recommend?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yeah I don't know what they cost. But my car came with uniroyal tigerpaws! They are griptastic. We used to use them on our clay track stock cars because of how well they handled.

I was very happy with em in the snow too.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Falkens are horrible in the rain. 512's or 912's. I couldn't even make a turn without feeling then slip.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I liked my Federal SS595 on my C5 wheels. They did get a little noisy on the back roads when pushing the car, but over all it was a good tire. I had them on the wheels I have now too, but I wasn't a fan. Might have been too narrow, or the car, or something else, but I they didn't feel like they had the grip that they had with the C5s.

·
Registered
132 Posts
not one of your choices but I have the Yokohama S drives and I'm very pleased with them there very gripy and summer tires

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
I had yoko s drives once. Think on my scirocco. They are a great tire. Little pricey though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a set of cooper all seasons for my summer tires. I have had the same tire on my B5 and my Mk4 and love them. I have had them for 25K so far and they have been excellent and still have 60% thread left (and I'm not easy on them either). They grip good in rain and dry pavement and perform ok in snow but nothing like a Snow tire. I paid $450 for them for the tires, mount and balance with a discount from my uncles tire shop. If you have any tires that you would like to see about getting a discount on let me know. He used to be able to get Michilen Piolots for $55 a piece but now he can only get Cooper, Bridgestone and Firestones.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
bfgoodrich g force kdw. grippy tire in the rain and dry. they do get noisy as they wear down

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
for a really solid all around all season --- goodyear eagle gts
hands down my favorite tire i had (summer tire) was my yokohoma s drives.

falkens suck.. especially in rain snow forget about it.

and michelin tires are really good .. i forget the exact model.. but i had a set of those too.. they were freaking awesome.. right on par with yokos.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
I think I'm the only one that understood that.
Neogens are kinda cheap. Wear great. Nangkangs are dirty cheap.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
ive heard too much bad about falkens in the rain. i would go with neogens, an extra 40 bucks for the neogens if theyre gunna be that much better is worth it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I just had my 1st nankang experience and gotta say. I like em. So far the hold a bit better than my new falken 512s. They are around the $100 price point however they are chinese and not available locally. I like having the security of not being force dto buy a mis matched tire

1 - 17 of 17 Posts