VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this seems like a easy one but i am not sure. on my tires it says maxiuum pressure is 51 psi but thats not what you actually fill your tires up to, right??? Right now i have them at 35 psi but i just wanted to know what you guys think. oh yeah i have the stock 17" wheels and tires. thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Gotta check 'em while they are warm. Other than that not sure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The higher pressure you run your tires at the better gas mileage you get. The downside is that you will fell more of the bumbs in the road. The max psi rating is fine to run at, but i usually run at 5 to 10 psi lower than max, depending on the season. And check the tire pressure cold (before you've been driving on them).

·
Registered
175 Posts
it says in your manual what the recommended psi is and also you check em when it is cold and warm. when the temp. changes it messes with the pressure. i run mine at 35 in the front and 31-32 in the rear. i have 205/40/17 s

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I have 215/45/17 and run them at 31 front and rear. If I plan to go out and have fun and race some ricers... I run at 36 front and rear.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Well since it's been a cold ass winter I decided to pump up the air pressure on mine. Sleepyhead we have the same wheels and tires I believe. I have mine around 40-41 little stiffer and you do feel more of the bumps but handles a little nicer in the snow.

·
Registered
423 Posts
You never check tire pressure warm. Always cold. because there is expanding going on in the rim when the tire gets warm. If you check it warm you will get a high reading and let some psi out and then when the tire is cold it will be low. I run 31psi all the way around. about 35-36psi in the winter.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I run mine at 5 under max, just incase you hit some potholes or something.. Of course, I have 16" with the 1/2 mile sidewall, so I can run it high pressure without sacrificing the ride too much.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
yeah fli i usually do the same. its good to do that i think.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'll defer to the experts on this one; but if you check them cold, then add air, then warm them up driving, isn't there a chance of over inflating???

·
Registered
119 Posts
...and sort of off topic; my stock 17's are really worn...well, the front to. Turns out they were misaligned and I've been driving w/ them for too long like that, so now they're really worn. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on two of the michelins? They're 380 something at tirerack for two!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Proper inflation pressure is essential for achieving maximum performance and mileage. Improper tire inflation pressure can cause severe internal tire damage, which can lead to sudden tire failure and resulting in serious personal injury or death.

Improper inflation pressure may result in rapid or irregular wear. Pressures should always be checked when the tires are cold and at least monthly. Under normal tire operation, approximately 1psi of tire pressure will escape every month. Also, for every 10 degrees F change in ambient temperature, tire pressure will change by approximately 1psi.

Got this from a web site.

·
Registered
12 Posts
tire press should always be checked cold.
and if you look in the gas lid to fill up it will tell you what psi to run under regular load or maximum load. my 2002 gti 1.8t i run 29 in front and 26 in rear..
that's what the car call for. then again
the engineers that build the car i personally don't think they could be wrong.
they were the ones that actually developed the car.. i have the 16 inch so for the 17 it would be diff. but on the gas lid its gonna say what to fill it to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts