VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need new tires...bad. I was thinking about getting different tires for the front and back. I thought about some for the front that have really good traction (even though they won't last long) and some with a stiffer sidewall in the rear for handling. I know I will be sacrificing a little handling by going with ones with a softer sidewall in the front, but I really want the traction. If that's a bad idea let me know, and also let me know what kind of tires you reccomend and how the traction and tread life is.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I would run the same tire at all 4 corners, Brett. Its usually not a good idea to mix and match tires, you want the car to be predictable at all times.

Are you looking for performance summer tires, or all season tires? I know a lot of people run Kumho Ecsta Supras or MX's...they are relatively inexpensive and offer good traction for the money. If money is no object, I would recommend Bridgestone Pole Position S-03s. I would not recommend Goodyear tires to anyone, as the ones that come on VWs from the factory really suck. Michelins seem to be getting weaker and weaker nowadays...I would hit up the tire rack website and take a look around...you can search for tires based on your preferences to get a good idea of what you want. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there anything priced between the Ecsta's and the Pole Positions? It jumps from $62 per tire to $144 per tire. I was thinking between $90 and $110. I'm sure if I look around I can find some in that price range, but my tire knowledge is lacking, and I don't want to spend $100 when I could have gotten similar performance from the $62 Kumho.

I just saw the Kumho Ecsta MX too, which had much higher rating all around, and they were $92 per tire. Any thought on those?

[ January 18, 2004: Message edited by: Straz85 ]

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
They are most likely the ones I'll be getting..the MX's are hot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome, that's what I will be getting probably then. I just have to deal with them for the rest of the winter, I don't have the money to get snow tires now and 4 new ones in the spring. They can't be worse then these ones though...

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
if you need them right now, I would opt for a good all-weather tire. what I would do is call around to your local tire stores and see if they are running any specials. I found my 225/50/16 all season sumitomo's htr+ for 90 per tire. I love them, plus they have a really hot tread pattern. I have heard that kuhmo is a nice cheaper priced tire.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
If you need an all season for not a tremendous amount of $$$, I also would cvouch for the sumitomo htr+. Probably the best performance oriented all season out there for the $$$.

If you want a strait summer tire, the Yokohama AVS ES100's (what I have) are great, but if you can find the Falken Azeni's in a size that will fit your ride, they are the absolute best bang for the buck out there.......almost as cheap as the ES100's and outperforming any other non r compound on the autox circuits for over 3 years now. SCCA has considered many times making the Falkens illegal for street tire classes now because they simply dominate every other tire out there on the Solo II circuit.

Here's some pics of the tread patterns out there....you can probably see why the Azeni's will out perform the others. There are several different Falken Azeni's out there, you want the sports, not the ST115's or any other ones. The rest are junk IMHO.

ES100 -

Kumho -

Falken -

Also, here is a review I did of the ES100's when I got them last spring. Hope this helps you a bit...........

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Yokohama AVS ES100's 225/50/16 - Well IMO, I am very impressed with these tires. I like them a lot better than the Kumho's I got last summer, and will probably buy another set of these for next year.

The tires seem to perform about the same as the Kumhos, just as sticky, and handling is very good. The dry traction is great, and a massive improvement over the winter tires I have had on. They also seem much more predictable when they start to break away than the Kumho's were.

The wet traction (it was pouring this morning on the way to work) is great as I was zooming along at 80mph on the open highway this morning to work and noticed no hydroplaning at all. After I get off the highway, I have about 10 miles of back roads that I take to avoid traffic, that never have traffic and have some great twisties. I usually test out new suspension/brake/tire mods here as you can see all the way around the turns so you know to slow down for oncoming traffic. It has some low speed tight corners that are perfect for the top of second gear that I can usually do some small drifts around when you let off the throttle, and I found it very difficult to break the car loose on the turns despite the down pour. I am very happy with this.

The tires also have less road noise than the Kumho's. The noise is about the same as my winter Mich. XGTH4's that are on my Avus wheels. Something I noticed about my Kumho's that I don't notice now is the car used to track and pull from side to side when I hit inconsistencies (spell?) on the roads surface, usually open highway at cruising speeds, and I really didn't like this. I experience none of this with the ES100's.

Also, I really like the side walls on the Yokohama's. The way they are designed is that there is a lip of rubber around the edge of the wheel that also protects it from curbs and accidental damage to the wheel. I like this a lot. It also for some reason has the sidewall designed so that it looks and appears to be a much lower profile tire than it actually is (this is great for the looks of the tire, which is not very important but a nice perk).

IMO, these tires are a great value, and unless you are concerned with cutting a few tenths off your track times, these are the tires everyone should be buying instead of the mid and high end tires like the S03's, GY Eagle F1's, etc. They perform about the same as Kumho's, maybe a little better when it comes to dry surfaces, but the other perks I mentioned above I feel make them a beter value. Plus they have a wear rating of 280 so I hope to get at least 20,000 miles of abuse and a few Autox's out of them this summer.

Did I mention that the tread pattern looks pretty badass too, much better than the Kumho's? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[ January 19, 2004: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
471 Posts
IMO - The best all season tire out right now is the Continental Extreme Contact. They are decievingly quiet considering thier aggressive appearance. V thru W speed rated. 400 treadwear rating. Excellent wet road grip and fairly sure footed in snow as well. The price is also very competitive. Our dealership has been installing them on almost everthing.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will look around for prices on the Ecsta MX and ES100 and see what I can find. I want to get a summer tire because I will only have it for another month or so of snow, and next winter I will get snow tires, so I will just deal with it for now. I'll let you know the outcome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
great info on this thread! I am actually looking to replace my tires within the next couple of months as well. I was leaning pretty heavily towards those Yokohamas...they seemed to be the best bang for the buck. Thanks for that review on them. It pretty much seals my decision to get them.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
What do you guys think of the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2? They are fairly pricey but look pretty sweet!

...although I just read some reviews that they are kind of noisy...

[ January 20, 2004: Message edited by: Tommunist ]

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
What do you guys think of the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW-2? They are fairly pricey but look pretty sweet!

[
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have heard god things about them....other than the price tag.

I am telling you guys....it you want strait balls to the wall performance, and don't care if they only last for 20k miles and don't go in the snow, get the Falken Azeni Sports. They are the most track tested budget tires out there and always keep up with the other tires that cost twice as much. The only reason I don't have them is that they don't come in many sizes....right now I use a 225/50/16.

[ January 20, 2004: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
What do you think the best tire is that lasts at least 40k miles? I have a much easier time spending cash on awesome performing tires if they don't wear out really fast. But maybe that's just me....

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
What do you think the best tire is that lasts at least 40k miles? I have a much easier time spending cash on awesome performing tires if they don't wear out really fast. But maybe that's just me....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess if you don't 50+ drag strip passes on them like I did, you might get 40k out of the ES100's. They lasted much longer than my Kumho's did. I just took them off the other week after having them on since March and I probably put close to 30k on them and I put on more than one smoke show with em.

·
Registered
107 Posts
avid h4 are really good i have them on my v70 glt
they were around i belive 67 bucks they handle good

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The ES100's are only $83 each for 225/50-16's, which is less than what I thought from what you were saying about them. So now it's between those and the Ecsta MX's. The Ecsta's got better reviews on Tirerack, but I don't know if I should trust that...

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Well, this has reminded me to go to the tire rack to check some prices on some MX tires for my new summer rims, which haven't even been purchased yet.

·
Registered
471 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>avid h4 are really good i have them on my v70 glt
they were around i belive 67 bucks they handle good <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Today, I was on Tire Rack's site and noticed that Yokohama released the new Avid H4S and V4S. Yet another Yoko product that shows promise.

·
Registered
423 Posts

[ January 20, 2004: Message edited by: Tommunist ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Best tires going are the BF Goodrich. The only tires to pull just over 1 G, on the skidpad. with a stock vehicle.. There are ONLY 2 types of tires (Summer and Winter)

The summer tires are 3 season tires and about Thanksgiving you put on the Winter tires on, for the 1 season. On Seperate rims.
If your going to spend money on good tires, why complain about price.

Just my .02
But I think the best tires are BFG's

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
What I want to know is who on here thinks they are a good enough of a driver to be able to take advantage of the .1 of a second that a $180 a pop tire might give you if your on an autox course or ripping it up carving corners on back roads?

Why not get a tire like the ES100's and spend the left over money for track time to make yourself a better driver?

I would also look for other independant reviews on tires other than tirerack. Look to people that actually put tires to use on timed sanctioned events.

[ January 20, 2004: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts