VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the topic of oil consumption sparked this question....

is there a negative consequence of having too much oil??? if so is there a certain time that the oil has to be overfilled??

·
Registered
466 Posts
I would think that to much oil would hurt your performance. I know that I've seen things for sale that fit into certain oil pans to "scrape" the excess oil off of the crank, claiming extra hp.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i heard somewhere that you could blow a headgasket or something... but then again i heard that you would be fine also

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The warning on the oil cap states:

"WARNING: Overfilling the engine oil can cause engine and catalyst damage. Do not overfill!"

I think its safe to say...don't overfill your oil.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
And the other not so obvious answer...

with the increased oil pressure, more of it gets into the combustion chamber, can foul the plugs, and from there go to the cat and screw that up too.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:

with the increased oil pressure, more of it gets into the combustion chamber, can foul the plugs, and from there go to the cat and screw that up too.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh how wrong can things go...

My friend had this problem with his car, mainly due to his ineptness with everything automotive.

He was complaining about how his car wouldn't start, and his father thought it was the ignition system. Well, I was in high school, taking auto shop that year, so I told him I would take a look at it.

I look at the plugs and at the coil and everything seems ok. Then I check the oil. IT WAS NEARLY TO THE TOP OF THE DIPSTICK!!! Needless to say, we found the problem.

It involved a complete draining of the oil and replacement, but that wasn't the worst part. The oil had been blown up into the air intake via the PCV valve; so then I had to clean that out and spray all kinds of solvent over the SINGLE fuel injector and it finally fired up.

He was lucky: it was a $400 junker (which later when on to break down again, when they upgraded him to the land yacht they call the Sable). Point of the Story: too much oil can KILL!!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks
just the tech answer i was hoping for

1 - 10 of 10 Posts