VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious, how fast has everyone gotten their dubs? Also, I am curoius if there is a big change in the top speed with a chip. I know that the Garret chip is supposed to de-activate the governer, and I am probably going to be buying one soon. Not that I generally need to be going the top speed...but it's nice to know

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I've had mine up to around 120-130 no problem. I know the govern is around 130 or so. Since getting the APR chip, haven't had the balls to test the actual top speed yet. I've seen video's of people doing around 140-150. Even saw a 911 (ithink) doing 205 or so. It's on a gumball video.
jon

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I have buried the speedometer on my jetta 2.0 .I was doing over 140mph.I was pushing a totally done up civic about a year ago.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My 03 GTI 1.8T cant go further than 127mph
but my 98 GTI vr6 I had it on 135 and was scared to push it more but I bet it can go way more.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
the gumball video has taht porche goin 208
insain. wel i only had mine up to 110, no biggie but i was runnin out of road and it was scarry. haha.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
hey rich, when we were riding together, i was hitting 100-110 no problem when you were sleeping or playing on my cell-phone

jon

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just realizd I didn't even put my top speed in my original post, I got mine up to 136 when it was stock. Not that I have many most now that would change that a LOT. If it's governed at 139 I could probably hit that now since I have more high end power from my intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Calculating it into miles I did 140 to 145 on more then 1 occasion.

Call me insane if you want... I know what I did and what I won't do again.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
ha i get scared of going over 100....not because of the speed but because of the ticket...thats almost 2 times the speed limit

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
i have had mine up to 110 and i think i can hit 115 maybe 120. but i had my bros up to 105 easy! that was a day where the car didnt want to go slow, she hadnt been driven in a week, and man she wanted to keep goin. but i had a friend in the car, and if i got a ticket, my bro would kill me when he comes back from bootcamp

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hear you guys with the ticket...plus when you're going THAT fast it's a criminal offense, you can get your license suspended on the spot. A friend of mine from NH was doing 95 in a 55 and got it suspended for 90 days.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I had my vr6 up to 130. my friend was driving me back to his place (in my car-I was drunk...thats why he was driving) and had it up to 140 (the govenor is at 139). is there a way to deactivate it without having a chip?? just wondering..

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Brian, i know with BMW there's this little thing you can get and change some setting such as speed govenor. Although i have not seen one for VW yet.
jon

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I was racing a freaking Grand Prix about a year ago. On the opposite lane somebody flashed their lights on us... I saw it and slowed down... the Grand Prix kept on going in the middle lane (prob... about 100 MPH).

Sure enough there was a cop on top of an overpass and as soon as the grand prix passed the overpass the police officer turned around and pointed at the grand prix.

There were 2 cruisers ready parked after the overpass and the GP got pulled over.

All I did is sweat my b#%%lls off. LOL

PS: I know.. some prefer sex in public places to get that kind of rush. Go figure.

·
Registered
413 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
I hear you guys with the ticket...plus when you're going THAT fast it's a criminal offense, you can get your license suspended on the spot. A friend of mine from NH was doing 95 in a 55 and got it suspended for 90 days.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yea, my friend got pulled over in his Firebird doing 74 in a 35 (it was a road leading onto the highway, and at midnite), and only got $100 ticket and 20 day suspension, and the suspension was because he didn't go in for the summons, just sent in his liscense. of course it was hir first offence, but he was pretty lucky.

edit: oh yea, topped out my speedo on my Cavy yesterday, 85.

[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: Qwikkihf ]

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
i hit 200 km/h on a highway, which is exactly double the speed limit(200km/h is about 125 mph). When i reached this speed i was really really freaked out so i slowed down but i know for sure it could have went faster. The funny thing is that when i reached this speed 2 corvettes were racing infront of me so i thought for sure that if a police officer were to come they would take down the 2 corvettes racing.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts