VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I was looking the other day a comercial of this and I want to know is some of you have this install on his mk3, I saw that tgis provide up to 20 HP gain and a considerable fuel save.

Let me know!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Um, no. I think those numbers are the "upto" 20 hp gain. And this is based on an old chevelle or similar car. Tell em to go for it and report the results.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
From what i've heard, they really don't do anything for the car, mainly the newer ones becaue it's really changing the air flow and might set off the check engine light. If you have access to a dyno, i would really like to see the before and after to really see if it does any good. I highly doubt it.
jon

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
yeah i hear these things dont work. but if they do, then i say go for it!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
i have a guy i work with who will buy anything cheap that says it improves performance... he installed one in his truck and noticed very minimal performance gains but did notice a drastic in fuel comsumption.... the truck has a 5.7L NOT worth it!!!! save your money.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok,

Message received.

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Thought I'd throw this in cause I've seen a few in action. On a '96 dodge ram 2500, the turbinator basically did nothing. These type of intake mods were done on a lot of racing bikes about 40 years ago. They worked pretty well since the design of their intakes didn't allow for a lot of air flow. However, in the past 10 years, air boxes have gotten so good. A lot of times, a factory airbox will outflow a CAI. After seeing this thing in action and driving the truck before and afterwards, it's a joke. It was a bent peice of metal with 6 triangles cut into it that was definitely made in some guys living room. If you want one, get a piece of aluminum the size of the circumference of your intake tube behind the air box. Cut it like jagged pumpkin teeth and bend the teeth inwards like a dome. It should cost about $3 to make.

Oh yeah, and since it is designed to add more air flow, it should never save you gas. More air means the engine will compensate with more gas, thus giving you more power and worse gas mileage.

[ July 29, 2003: Message edited by: Gti20thAEinDE ]

·
Registered
131 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Oh yeah, and since it is designed to add more air flow, it should never save you gas. More air means the engine will compensate with more gas, thus giving you more power and worse gas mileage.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But u can also think of it this way. not saying that the tornado does give you power, but if it did. then wouldnt that mean you wont have to drive it as hard because the engine has more power, and the engine doesnt have to work as hard, thus making your mileage better....

Zak

1 - 10 of 10 Posts