VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,
As I mentioned before, I'm getting my Cabrio ready for my daughter who's about to get her license. Well, I noticed transmission fluid on the driveway and it looks like it's coming from the torque converter seal. I bought the seal already, but before I spend a day tackling this project, I need to know if there is anything that is a MUST in the procedure for dropping the transmission.

Basically, the engine will stay in the vehicle suspended with an engine joist. I know both axles will have to be disconnected or removed (the ladder will probably provide more wrenching room). The starter comes out, Torque converter bolts removed, Transmission cooler disconnected, Shifter cable disconnected, etc. Disconnect the mounts and it should drop.

If there is anything that is a MUST DO to successfully swap out this seal, please chime in.

I've done R&Rs on RWD transmissions, engine swaps on FWD/RWD/AWD cars, but I've never dropped a FWD transmission.

Any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks Fellas :)

-TheImpalaMan

·
Premium Member
6,954 Posts
Pretty easy, just make sure you have two of every sized Torx and allens in that model. and a buddy to sip a brew and hold down the brakes so you can get the axles halted while you loosen the bolts.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Make sure you are clearing the power steering line as well. Don't want to break that off.
You'll probably have to pull the axels completely out to get enough room to drop the transmission. Be sure to losen the passenger side mount up a little to get some extra give in the motor. The more room you have the easier it is to free the trans from the motor and give enough room to drop it down.
There will probably be a few sensors going into the transmission. On the driver side of the transmission, since that's closest to the battery and frame for it to be wired. Check everywhere though.

That should be it... Just go real slow and watch for things once you get the trans free and it should go alright. The biggest speed bumps will probably be getting it free from the motor, and the cooler on top.

good catch on the brakes. That can be a bother. But you can always use a pry bar on the flywheel too. :D
Ah one more thing. There are some HUGE torx bolts going into the oil pan, at least on the 1.8, goes through the trans I think. Those are a pain to get to... If you have to go through that be 100% sure to get the proper part or you'll be wasting tons of time on it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good tips guys...Thanks. What do you think the timeline will be on this job? 6 hrs? Oh, are the transmission cooler bolts left or right hand bolts?

-TheImpalaMan

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Since it's a cabrio I couldn't tell you for the cooler bolts.

Timeline shouldn't be bad but always try to get double what you think it will take. 6 hours is what it would take with a couple speed bumps but nothing too major. The bolts going into the motor will probably be the slowest part, easier you can reach it the faster it will be.
Set aside an hour a few days ahead to check the tools required make sure you have everything that will make it easy. Be sure to refill the trans and coolant properly if you happen to lose fluid.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do, thanks again for the tips guys.

-TheImpalaMan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts