VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by White Rabbit:
Hey, do you guys know of anybody that makes an upgraded torque converter for the MKIII?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remove tranny... replace torque converter with clutch, replace tranny with 5 speed. VW automatics are a joke... they always brake.

Silly side note... the white MK3 jetta in Fast and the Furious was a 2L Automatic, and the nitrous system wasn't hooked up.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright guys, HA HA real funny, lets all make fun of the guy with the automatic.
NEWS FLASH! Automatics have proven to be faster in drag races because it allows you get more traction off the line. My problem is that I'm going to have so much horspower that I need a converter with a higher stall speed. Does anybody know a good website for VW trannies?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by White Rabbit:
alright guys, HA HA real funny, lets all make fun of the guy with the automatic.
NEWS FLASH! Automatics have proven to be faster in drag races because it allows you get more traction off the line. My problem is that I'm going to have so much horspower that I need a converter with a higher stall speed. Does anybody know a good website for VW trannies?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trust me... you'll want a stick. I've seen an Mopar FWD automatic mounted to a VW motor in a tube chassis Rabbit. He hasn't gotten it to the track yet... but he's one of the very few trying the auto.

If you're planning on making more power you'll NEED a stick, as the VW auto usually doesn't hold up to the stock HP levels as it stands. And there is NO ONE who builds them for performance, racing, or anything other than standard replacement.

For stickshifts... start with this

My dad is a drag racer, I grew up drag racing. Automatics are used in drag racing because of consistancy. Two cars, one a stick, one an auto, with all other things equal, the stick car will be at least three tenths faster.

[ December 20, 2003: Message edited by: Fourt1thirty ]

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so how much would it cost for an auto to stick conversion and how would it be done? I heard somewhere that the harness and ECU would also have to be replaced because the manual tranny has a few less sensors than the auto. I know that the manual has a cable clutch but what about mounting the clutch pedal?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
so how much would it cost for an auto to stick conversion and how would it be done? I heard somewhere that the harness and ECU would also have to be replaced because the manual tranny has a few less sensors than the auto. I know that the manual has a cable clutch but what about mounting the clutch pedal?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ecu and the harness may have to be replaced... mostly because your car is OBD2. There's probably some way around it... there has to be.

Swapping to a stick would be pretty much the same as doing it on a mk2. You need the tranny and clutch, linkages, throttle cable, and the clutch pedal and cable. The pedal should mount to the pedal cluster like factory.

I'd think about switching to an 02A from a G60 Corrado or 16v Passat. There's usually a few complete conversion kits on ebay with the clutch stuff and the shifter box. They usually go for $500.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts