VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I have no idea if this has been done or if it is even possible. I was goin down the road the other day and saw one of the new Touaregs (sp) If i'm not mistaken these cars have larger rotors and calipers than my car (2k3 GTI VR6) and i was wondering how difficult a swap would be. I know the all wheel drive system might present a small problem, but most of the hardware and electronics should be similar, correct? Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
As a Touareg certified technician, I can safely tell you...no. The Touareg is a completely different platform, and most of the truck is completely new and doesn't share anything with any other VW, except possibly the Phaeton. Suspension will not bolt into a GTI, unless you have a fortune to spend. Same goes for the rest of the truck. The transmission and transfer case alone would take up the engine bay of a Golf. The brake setup is also way different, as the Touareg employs small drum brakes inside the rear rotors for the parking brake..

I don't think any Touareg part swaps are gonna happen, they just aren't similar enough.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
It's much cheaper and more efficient to just buy an aftermarket Stage 2 brake upgrade. You can get TT or R32 brakes for not too much money which will be a nice upgrade. If you want to go all out with a stage 3 you can go with something like Brembo, you will stop on a dime.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, cash is kinda the issue, that's why i was looking for a swap from another vw. I've got about a 5 g budget for everything i'm gonna do for about 3 years, and i was really hoping for a lil turbo setup. Any suggestions on saving cash on this type of stuff would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I'm going with either the R32 or TT brake set-up when it's time to replace. shouldn't be to much more then what the stock brakes are.
jon

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Brakes from a 337 or 20th AE would also be a welcome upgrade over stock...If you get TT225/337/20AE rear brakes, they grow in size, and the rotors become vented..much better than stock. The fronts from the above mentioned cars are an inch bigger than stock.

ECS Tuning also sells good brake upgrade kits, and they aren't that expensive.
www.ecstuning.com

·
Registered
453 Posts
Usually all that is involved is the fabrication of a new bracket, anyting is possible! Just have to think it out! The most expensive part would probably be the purchase of the touareq front brakes. Any machine shop could make a braket. As long as your wheels are big enough and the offset will allow or clear the calipers it should work. If the bolt pattern is differnt that could pose a problem, but nothing that couldn't be solved with a little ingenuity

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gdogg16:
Usually all that is involved is the fabrication of a new bracket, anyting is possible! Just have to think it out! The most expensive part would probably be the purchase of the touareq front brakes. Any machine shop could make a braket. As long as your wheels are big enough and the offset will allow or clear the calipers it should work. If the bolt pattern is differnt that could pose a problem, but nothing that couldn't be solved with a little ingenuity<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And probably an extra 30pounds of unsprung weight on the front of the car. Big break kits are the way too go

·
Registered
6 Posts
DVD and Nav are not working on my Toureg V8 2006 model, can you pls help, it requires installing the new programe, any ideas where I can buy the CD?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts