VW Forum banner

Touareg Towing Problem

6K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  big dub 
#1 ·
#2 ·
That is so freakin stupid. As if the stupid retard bought the SUV based on what the trailer in the ad looked like. Maybe if he did a little bit of research instead of just asking the salesman, who of course is going to say it can tow the trailer, he works on commission!

Wouldn't you just love to punch that "reporter" in his perfect teeth!

#3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:
wow that's quite disappointing!

but most people i know buy suv's b/c they are "safer" than cars not for there towing capacity. this is what vw probably assumed.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know a lot of people that buy SUVs around here for towing capcity: Snowmobiles, boats, campers. Lots of that sort of thing up in the North East.

#4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 LUVR:
Is that towing capacity for the V8? I would be interested to see what the towing capacity would be for the V10 diesel...

Maybe by the time they bring the diesel over they will have fixed the tougue problem.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The towing capacity for the two would be the same. What I have a feeling happened is that when he went to the place and they said he needed a new hitch, they were probably going to put an 11,000 lb. hitch on the truck, which is why VW said it would void the warranty, because the car is not designed to tow 11,000, only 7700. The whole problem is that the guy didn't do his research, and then got hosed, and the media wanted to find a story, so then it makes it all look like VW's fault.

In reality, Im sure that the hitch is overdesigned for 7700 lbs, because the last thing they want is to have a hitch break and be lible for a trailer careening down a mountain highway....

#7 ·
No, the Taureg can tow 7700 lbs, it cant tow a 8300 pound airstream. This is all hype, rhetoric, and retards. I am going to write them an email asking why they didn't contact Nissan when in fact opening your door into a garbage truck wont knock it over, but put a dent in your door. Sheesh, retards. If you want to tow a trailer, check its weight(including all the isht you pack into it) against your towing capacity.

#10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bluemk2:
I hate how the media attacks a huge corporation just because of a little mistake. The Touareg still has incredible towing capabilities for being a luzury SUV. i would take one anyday<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. All the media is good for is using people's faults to make money, and Americans are so damn stupid and gullable that everyone buys into it, and now everyone is afraid of everything. Did you know a school just got sued because these parents thought that the wireless LAN would give their son cancer? It's so sad how the media has made everyone so terrified of everything.

#11 ·
plus it didnt say it cant tow it, it just said the hitch was messed up. but yeah, just because of one mess up, the news attacks them. thats bull plop. but here is one thing that irritates me about vw.

"And when Sinclair tried to install a different hitch Volkswagen told him that would void his warranty! "I was very surprised, I was, I felt very deceived."

i hate that warranty bull crap.

#12 ·
As a marketing person, I've found that it is always wise to be able to deliver on whatever it is that you boast about. Unfortunately, all kind of negative publicity will come from this cost cutting f*ck up. Can the T-reg tow what they claim it can, sure. Can it do it in its current configuration, sadly, no.

VW has pulled a Homer on this one.

[ November 11, 2003: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]

#13 ·
It's always a tough call with advertising. For example, do you see people trying to stop monster trucks with toyota tacomas...no. They have a tiny disclaimer on the ad that says the monster truck would obliterate that tiny excuse for a truck. Since people's perceptions are up to them, it's best to have a disclaimer that says something like, check with dealer or onwer's manual for actual towing capacity.

#14 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gti20thAEinDE:
It's always a tough call with advertising. For example, do you see people trying to stop monster trucks with toyota tacomas...no. They have a tiny disclaimer on the ad that says the monster truck would obliterate that tiny excuse for a truck. Since people's perceptions are up to them, it's best to have a disclaimer that says something like, check with dealer or onwer's manual for actual towing capacity.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
exactly what I was thinking. If the vw marketing department wants to exaggerate their advertisments, then at least put a disclamer along with the ad.

#15 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gti20thAEinDE:
It's always a tough call with advertising. For example, do you see people trying to stop monster trucks with toyota tacomas...no. They have a tiny disclaimer on the ad that says the monster truck would obliterate that tiny excuse for a truck. Since people's perceptions are up to them, it's best to have a disclaimer that says something like, check with dealer or onwer's manual for actual towing capacity.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does anyone remember the commercial for one of the subaru cars, I'm not sure which one, but it showed the car driving off a stage and crowd surfing overtop the audience! They actually HAD a disclaimer for that!! How stupid does one have to be to need a disclaimer about not crowd surfing with a goddam car!!! Seriously....I mean, come on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.