VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all
im curious to know how hard it is to put a towing attachment on an 89 golf. and how much wieght it would be able to handle, properly tuned up of course.
any ideas?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
It's not hard to put a hitch on a golf. You ccan buy them from most part stores. But they can't handle too much weight. What were you gonna tow with it? If it's just a small trailer then that shouldn't be a problem. But i'm not sure i'd wanna tow a boat or somthing with one. But it's your car so you be the judge. I don't think there is an exact number of what it can handle. But maybe somone knows from experience.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was going to tow ONLY a 384 pound motorcycle, that ive put WAY too much work into to sell or something. so the wieght of the trailer, plus 400 pounds....anyone know if an 8v golf can handle this?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
That shouldn't be a problem. But you might want to check your owners manual. I never thought of that. I've seen people tow 4wheelers and stuff with a volkswagen. A motorcycle shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
and if you dont have an owners manual because you bought the car used or something then try asking a dealer not the guy that sells the cars but someone in the servive center

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wouldnt you think that info would be in the owners manual? well its not....its also not in the HAYNES REPAIR MANUAL, where i was Certain it would be.

guess i'll swing by the dealership just to get an expert opinion.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
When I got mine, they said the tow capacity was equivilent to two jetskis... but thats a 1.8T MkIV, so this information is almost completely irrelevant. Call the service department, they can tell you the tow rating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts