VW Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've got quite the story on my 1995 Mk3 Golf. So when I bought the car in August of 2012 I was 16, knew nothing about cars, and had two friends who also knew nothing about cars that offered to work on some project car with me. Luckily for me my mom and a few other family friends offered to fund my project and gave me an initial budget of 2k to spend on the entire project. After scouring CraigsList, Ebay Motors, Cars.com, etc and looking at everything from miatas to camaros to bimmers we finally found this 1995 Mk3 Golf (no idea what model) with 250k+ miles on the body and 160k+ miles on the engine for $350 from some sketchy guy in Northern GA off of CraigsList. Now since we were 16 year old kids we wanted a race car, since we only had 2k to spend on the car it's obvious to anyone except for us that it's not going to happen, especially in the condition that the car was in. Over the phone the guy, who I'm going to name Steve (after Scumbag Steve), said that the car needed a new fuel pump but that was it. Obviously I got excited and went to go see the car as soon as I could but was pretty disappointed when I got to the house. The car had fix-a-flat in two of the tires, the airbox was gone, the body was decent but there were two pretty big dents in the driver's side, the front was off the car, I could go on and on. Basically the car was in major disrepair but me being stupid as I am, I bought it anyways. I had it towed to my house and immediately began stripping the interior. After that was done my friends and I moved on to the mechanicals. After about 2 months of just working on fridays and saturdays we got the car running but it was VERY rough. We had pretty much already blown the budget on a new magnaflow exhaust, new H&R cup kit suspension, and a shit ton of other upgrades but we wanted this thing to run well so we took everything out and did a complete engine rebuild ourselves; the only thing we outsourced was the head to get that worked on. Long story short it's been about 9 months with the car and everything is back together but we are working on timing issues, transmission issues, and starter issues. I'd love to sell the car because we've learned so much with this car that now I want to do the same thing with an American carbureted car but we've put LOTS of money in this car and no one is willing to buy the thing for the 2k that I need for it. The engine is actually really nice, we did a good job and with some timing help from a mechanic family friend we're going to have it running well soon, it'd be the perfect track day car, we've done all the work for you. So if anyone is interested you can send me a message or post on here and I'd be willing to give you some more info on it. There's a video of the car running before we did the engine rebuild on YouTube that you can see if you go to my YouTube page, my name is MrTGUK. Thanks for reading and glad to be part of the VW Forums.
-Evan

1 - 1 of 1 Posts