VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my transmission died and i am going to replace it...its an auto and i just need to know what parts i will need for a 5 speed swap...like every part ill need. thanks

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
It's gonna be pretty involved if you've never dona anything like this but very possible. Once you locate all parts it shouldn't be too bad. First you'll need a tranny, and a clutch kit and flywheel. I don't know if the mount is different or not. Also a shifter assembly, and cable. I'm also not sure if the axles are the same or not. But other then that i think that should be it. I might be forgetting somthing , also some of the bolts might not be the right length for things when changine it and there's probably stuff you'll come across on the way but good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, my dad did this on his MKI jetta he had awhile back but he doesnt remember what we need...so thats the only fallback...my main concern is the axles...thanks for your help

·
Registered
107 Posts
i would say the best thing to do is get a nother a2 that roted out blown motor cheep and swap it that way i think that would be the easy way

·
Registered
349 Posts
hey on the mk2 it is a lot different than the mk1. on the mk2 you need to change the whole steering rack. on the 5 spd there are mounts for the shift linkage that arent on that of an automatic car. sourcing the parts usually isnt too bad but it would be a lot easier and cost effective to buy another car that's 5 spd. good luck if you try it.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bluemk2:
[QB]on the mk2 you need to change the whole steering rack.QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same with a MK1.

For a MK2 you'll need the rack, shifter and box, all linkages, clutch cable, clutch pedal (and the shaft it rides on because it's longer), tranny with the drivers side tranny mount and the mounts for the shift linkages. You'll also need the starter and the front motor mount.

The axles should be the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts