VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1989 a2 jetta gli 1.8 16v, looks like my manual trans just took a dump! Syncros are screwed up and it just grinds into gear! (clutch and linkage are all fine) Soo since it looks like tranny swapping time, anyone heard which year, model trans will fit what?
Someone told me that if you can find a A1 rabbit/GTI trans that it will give you alot more touque... Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
get a diseal jetta tranny. they have good bottom end and good top, they have a even power. then get a phandom grip for your diff. its a locker that makes the diff a limited slip but possy on take off. better then buying a $800 diff. there about $200-$250

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"then get a phandom grip for your diff. its a locker that makes the diff a limited slip but possy on take off. better then buying a $800 diff. there about $200-$250 "
do you know where i can get one?

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
The 16v trans out of the newer gti like 88 up to 92 or 93 where shit.I would install one out of a newer 2.0 like 97 98 .Hope this helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The newer trans out of a 2.0 gti/jetta, are they going to bolt up the same and what about shift linkages?? How much modification is that going to involve? Any help would be appriciated! Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Bolting up will be no problem the block of the motor is the same as the old 1.8's.The linkage you will have to use off of the newer trans.Hope this helps!

G

·
0 Posts
only thing different on the old 1.8s and now is basically is head work and the bore is a lil more...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
found a che trans from a 97 jetta... but was told the reverse gears go out common on those? and which models does the 4k trans come in?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 89jettawolfs:
I hear the 16v trannies are pretty good. I plan on getting one soon to replace my 8v tranny. But yeah a rabbit gti will fit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

besides the self maching problem that I have read about..... Alot of people seem to like the 8v trans better...

·
Registered
499 Posts
have you looked into having your old tranny rebuilt. I read about people putting in a taller 5th gear and being able to cruise along at much lower RPM's. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
31 Posts
yes the taller 5th gear (usually a TDI gear) is a great call if you do a lot of highway driving!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts