VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 87'jetta I aquired with a bad trans. I have an 87'GTI parts car that ran and drove before removing the trans. I have swapped the trans and axels into the jetta with no problems until I hooked the clutch cable back up and when I step on the pedal it stays on the floor. I now there is a common prob. with the finger on the clutch lever cracking but it is fine. The clutch and pressure plate are new. any help would be very appreciated

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
The crack in the finger is hard to ID as the crack isn't usually visable. Unhook the cable and pull up on the clutch arm, see where, or if you can feel the clutch come in. Then check the cable.

Self adjusting cables suck... period. If you have one, which your car shouldn't,
replace it with a standard one.

You remember to put the spring plate back onto the pressure plate before installing the clutch disc? I know it sounds stupid, but people do it all the time. I've also seen people punch through old spring plates, but that's fairly rare.

Last thing to check, and often the culprit (also the cause of clutch failure) is the pedal cluster cracking or bending. It happens more in MK1s, but does happen in MK2s. When this happens the tube that holds the cable housing out moves/bends and the clutch pedal gains slop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies I will check out the pedal cluster. The clutch cable is a manual adjusting and the spring plate is new. I checked and rechecked everything before putting the tranny in. Though this doesn't mean I still didn't miss something.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what am I missing??????? The pedal cluster is fine the shift lever,the little finger,throw out bearing(new), everything looks great.But the throw out and the rod it pushes stay in like if you have the clutch fully depressed. There is no pressure on them. I can pull them out easily. This makes me think maybe the splines are not lined up. What do you guys think.Thank for the info.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kdubber:
what am I missing??????? The pedal cluster is fine the shift lever,the little finger,throw out bearing(new), everything looks great.But the throw out and the rod it pushes stay in like if you have the clutch fully depressed. There is no pressure on them. I can pull them out easily. This makes me think maybe the splines are not lined up. What do you guys think.Thank for the info.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The tranny is in the car at this point and you have the end housing off? Am I getting this right? Sounds like something is up inside the bellhousing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts