VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheapest/easiest ways to make that extra 1hp?

#1 make sure just before your pedal hits the floor that your TB triggers the WOT switch (requires 2 people to check correctly, do it slow)

#2 take off TB, and check to see when it is at WOT, that the plates are perfectly 90 degrees with the bore. Both my stock TB and my Velocity big bore TB actually over-rotated past that mark, and actually caused a restriction. Some TBs have a set screw to adjust this, or you can make a shim on the linkage to limit movement.

#3 dremel off the extra screw threads and slim the shafts on your butterflies.

#4 set your plug gap to the small end of specs, at higher RPMs it will fire easier, less chance of being 'blown out' and less misfires...

#5 Index your plugs towards the exhaust valves, thus exposing them to a wider area of mixture / better burn

#6 make sure your ignition timing and A/F are adjusted to spec

#7 make sure your main fuel filter has been replaced and the fuel bolt screen on the fuel dizzy has been removed

#8 run 93-94 octane, so your advance will stay where it should be and not retard from detonation, killing power. (however, do NOT run anything higher like 100 octane, etc...unless you need it for a very high CR engine, otherwise you will actually loose power and money.)

That should be a good start. You will be amazed how many people I see with 16v's that do not run well from just simple things like this.

can i translate this to a non english guy!?what mods are these!?

·
Registered
112 Posts
1- TB=throttle body WOT=wide open throttle. There is a switch on the throttle body that is triggered by a shaft coming off the throttle linkage. If you look on top rear of the throttle body you can see a switch that is hit by a piece on the linkage.
2-Inside the throttle body are two plates that open up as throttle is apllied. Just make sure that they are pointed straight when turned to full throttle.
3-I think they mean the plates in the throttle body when they say butterflies. Just trim them down flatter I guess.
4-spark plugs must be properly gaped. Go a little on the tight side of the specs.
5-turn the open end of the spark plug finger to the exhaust valves
6-make sure your timing is correct and that your Air/Fuel ratio is to spec.
7-make sure you have a clean fuel filer. It is to the rear of the car underneath in front of the gas tank. Not sure what the fuel dizzy is.
8-use whatever gas makes your car run the best.
does any of that help? I don't know if you are really going to see any gains in HP but if these things are out of wack you probably will feel something or at least you can pretend.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HidRo:
Cheapest/easiest ways to make that extra 1hp?

#1 make sure just before your pedal hits the floor that your TB triggers the WOT switch (requires 2 people to check correctly, do it slow)

#2 take off TB, and check to see when it is at WOT, that the plates are perfectly 90 degrees with the bore. Both my stock TB and my Velocity big bore TB actually over-rotated past that mark, and actually caused a restriction. Some TBs have a set screw to adjust this, or you can make a shim on the linkage to limit movement.

#3 dremel off the extra screw threads and slim the shafts on your butterflies.

#4 set your plug gap to the small end of specs, at higher RPMs it will fire easier, less chance of being 'blown out' and less misfires...

#5 Index your plugs towards the exhaust valves, thus exposing them to a wider area of mixture / better burn

#6 make sure your ignition timing and A/F are adjusted to spec

#7 make sure your main fuel filter has been replaced and the fuel bolt screen on the fuel dizzy has been removed

#8 run 93-94 octane, so your advance will stay where it should be and not retard from detonation, killing power. (however, do NOT run anything higher like 100 octane, etc...unless you need it for a very high CR engine, otherwise you will actually loose power and money.)

That should be a good start. You will be amazed how many people I see with 16v's that do not run well from just simple things like this.

can i translate this to a non english guy!?what mods are these!?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1.There are 2 switches on the throttle body. One of them activates full throttle enrichment. Have someone sit in your car and push the gas pedal all the way to the floor while you watch the throttle body. At full throttle the switch on the top of the throttle body should be activated.

2.Pull off the tube that goes onto the throttle body, have someone push the gas pedal to the floor, make sure your throttle blades are open all the way, but not to far.

3.Don't bother with this step, the stock VW 16v throttle body is good to 300+ hp without doing stupid things to the screws that hold the throttle blades on. Besides... VW mushroomed the ends of the throttle blade screws so they wont rattle loose. If you grind off that mushroomed end you risk haveing a screw fall into your running motor.

4. Skip this step as well. For a couple reasons. The gap is not adjustable without a special tool on proper 16v spark plugs as the proper Bosch part has 3 terminals. Also, cap, rotor and faulty spark plug wires fail WELL before the plug gap has anything do do with it. My plugs are gapped as they came out of the box, and my 16v makes more horsepower than most and has no ignition problems all the way to 7500rpm. Some people in the turbo community have tested plug gaps from .020-.035 and noticed no change.

5. Skip this step. Indexing plugs is sort of an old wives tail. To start with, you have to have a cylinder head available to see how the plug sits, and how to shim it. Also as noted above, there are 3 terminals on the plug head. There is no power gain in indexing plugs, we don't do it on our 14:1 roller cam SBC race motors simply because it's a giant waste of time.

6. and 7. These are basic tune up things. The service manual covers them

8. Your car has 10:1 compression and a knock sensor. Run the best gas you can get from a pump in your country. If you run crap gas, your car will knock and the ignition timing will pull back slowing you down. Not to mention the damage it does to your motor.

Hope that helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts