VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i went today to do an alignment on my 97 mk3 2.0l 8v and turn out the cv arms and ball joints are bad so i order the ones on amazon for 66$..

now for the real issue, when the garage guy was checking the cv arms he notice an oil leak from the transmission. he notice the green seal on the co-pilot side where the transmission and the axle connects was half way loose and needs to be replace..

does anyone knows whats the name of that seal or where i can find it online??

thanks in advance

·
Registered
151 Posts
i think its called the output shaft seal. Check on germanautoparts.com they usually have everything you need for the best price around. Mine is leaking too but i got bigger problems with my transmission so the whole thing is getting replaced. I think i was quoted around $300 to do just the seal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lax5..
I was doing some search online for the output shaft seal and I found this picture

I found it on Welcome to BrokeVW.com but in this site they call the green seal a flange and the rubber seal the output shaft seal.
Because I have so little knowledge about engines, transmissions or even do work on a car I can't seem to find it online, just only the rubber seal

The place I take my mk3 they told me they can order the part for me and gave me a quote of just 15$ for the part.. the price is not bad so I think ill go with them.
They quote the labor to be 65$. You think its a good price??
Ohh and also quote me 140$ to install the cv arms.. each one so it goes for 280 for both cv arms plus the 65 and 15 of the output so all go for 360$..

do you think it's a reasonable price??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts