VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Fryauff:
MAF sensor? Easier if your still under warranty, they are not cheap!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was one of my (many) symptoms when my MAF went. I would definitely say that would be worth checking out.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
LZ did it throw any codes? If so did you get them? Also what kind of octane do you run? 87, 88, 93+?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No codes, i scanned it myself.

·
Registered
112 Posts
your desciption of the problem is not very detailed. if the engine races before the car moves then its in the trans. if the car just dogs bad when starting out its probably a fuel or air problem. Does it hesitate only when it is starting out or does it hesitate everytime you hit the gas pedal? try to narrow it down to certain circumstances and you'll be able to narrow the possibilities of what the problem is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey now-

I have been asking this question for a while, but it seems that no mechanic in the tri-state area can figure it out...so if anyone is up to the challenge here is the deal...

When I hit the gas pedal on my 2001 Cabrio there is sometimes a delay from when I press the petal to when the car actually goes. And when is goes it goes... I have had people plug in computers, clean out the transmission fluid, change plugs, filters...no one can find a problem, but they do feel a problem when driving. The VW Dealership is not helping me much, in fact i think they just like charging me for letting me know there is a problem. Does anyone have any ideas...or is anyone up to a challenge. Thanks!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Prize...we will see how fast this problem can be solved...if at all...then go from there...

VW is baffled...I would be impressed!!

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
My guess would be you have a clogged injector(s). Try some fuel injector cleaner, pick it up at your local Auto-Zone or Pep Boys $2.99. Worth a shot, looks to me you covered most of what I would recommend changing.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
No codes, i scanned it myself.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would still check the MAF, I know of people having this problem, and not throwing codes.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
9 Posts
MAF? What is that and is it hard to fix...?

Also - as for the more extensive description, the car more or less only has the acceleration problem when I hit the gas pedal after a complete stop. Could it be the fuel line??

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mass Ariflow Meter, it meters the amount of air entering the engine. It is very accessable, and easy to change, it's located at the exit of the air box.

Is the car struggling in low rpm's, but once reving/accelerating does it smooth out? I would suggest coil pack if it always limpy, but if not the MAF sounds right. It might just need a cleaning! You can either purchase some 91% electrical grade isopropyl alcohol, or a spray cleaner from the dealer (part# ZVW805001).

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
The feeling like an automatic transmision in a VW is starting to take a crap is usually tied to a bad ground connection.

·
Registered
70 Posts
but we need to know one thing
1. does the engine rpm's increase as the problem is happening when the car doesnt move?

or

2. does the engine rpm's not move at all when the car doesnt want to move after stopping?

if its #1 then it could be your differential in your tranny
and if its #2 it could be any of the things anyone above named. probably the mass air flow sensor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts