VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I want to do a 5th Gear swap on my 2004 jetta GL 2.0 to save some gas and drop RPMs. Im trying to find exact tranny model I have and what Gears from the TDIs that are compatible, any info would help a lot! thanks

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
I do not think a tdi gear ratio is appropriate for a 2.0.

TDI's make a ton more torque than a 2.0. They're diesel AND turbocharged.
Even the closest gear ratio on a tdi would give a massive drop in rpm. And the more popular ones to get down to 2500rpm at 75, those would drop your rpm my 20% I'm not sure the 2.0 could handle that.

It's a huge torque gap. It's over 100 foot pounds difference. A tdi is literally almost double the torque of a 2.0. That's why it can cruise at such low rpms. The engine can take the torque load of a very tall gear.

If you want to hyper-mile or whatever the 2.0, drive slower. :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the Diesel makes way more power, but I hate driving at 75, which is the speed limit, (no speeding here :p.) at 3700 rpm. I have read countless threads and the swap to the right gear will work wonders for my mainly highway commute to work. Im just having trouble figuring out where to find what kind of tranny model i have and what the stock 5th is so i can choose my new 5th accordingly.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The 5th gear swap is decently common to do. I considered it in my 2.0 when I had one. The 2.0 really does run at crazy high RPMs at highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
You can run the .75 tdi gear. As long as it is from an o2j, I believe an mk3 5th gear will work too. Someone on tex is running an mk3 gear

You will need to shift at a higher rpm to stay in the powerband for 5th gear. You will lose about 300 rpm at 75mph or 10%. It will save you about 1.5 mpg on the highway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts