VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 jetta with 36,000 miles, auto transmission makes serious vibration when shifted to drive, then, grinds when i accelereate, until the car is warmed (10 minutes of driving), can this be serious, and where is the transmission fluid dipstick, i cant find it?, thanks

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
There is no dipstick on VW Auto trannies...you have to check it using a VAG scan tool, and it has to be on a lift.

Sounds like you need a tranny, man. Nows a better time than ever to convert to a manual transmission while you are at it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i've heard that before, am i looking at more than a grand to convert?, and why would i need a tranny w/ 36k?, i dont beat up on it, wonder if its warrentied?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
VW AG4 Auto trannies suck, man. We replace em all the time at work...they just fail, what can I say? I have seen em last anywhere from past 200,000 to just over 1500 miles.

To convert, you need:
A good manual tranny
The shift cables and linkage
Clutch pedal assembly
Clutch and pressure plate

Do a search on the whoretex, Im sure someone has done one, I'm too tired to recite the parts necessary.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
If you bought the car new it seems to me that the tranny would be covered under the 50k/5 year drivetrain warranty. Not sure if they'll put in a manual setup for nothing thouhg....

·
Registered
777 Posts
i got mine used, they all come w/50,000 powertrain.. a tranny is powertrain....

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
found out its still under powertrain warrenty!!, converding to manual would be great though, at least i dont have to pay for it

·
Registered
777 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
If its free, let it be I guess. If it wasn't free, manualize.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

couldent agree more, atleast you can spend the money you where saving up to fix it on other mods....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts