VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

OK...I am new to the VW world, having purchased a '95 VW, i noticed a transmission slip. I was going to check the fluid, but I can't figure out how to do so. I am used to Ford's, there is normally a dipstick in the back. THis is an easy one...can anyone help?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It is an automatic. I was looking last night. I saw somthing that might be the dipstick. Is it towards the front but sort of hard to reach from up top? This was in no way obvious to see though. If you are talking, labeled or color keyed like the oil, then I am not seeing it.

As for the slipping, all I notice now is when I go from P to D or R in the morning or at night when I leave work, it doesn't always go into gear. This morning, I pulled out of the driveway and when I hit the street it slipped out, then I paused and it went in. So I am concerned, but I don't know how concerned to be.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Is it automatic or manual?

Automatic has a dipstick in the front...on the right side of the engine...between the battery and the engine...

It's slipping?

I have a automatic 1994 Golf III

I had to replace it...and it was a nightmare

sevral different tranny codes, unserviceable sensors....

$1300 later I have a used tranny with less than 60,000 on it.

I hope you're just low on fluid.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Call your local dealer and find out if your transmission is a sealed unit. My '98 Jetta is. Not really sure when they changed over. If it is sealed, there's not much you can do unless you really know what your doing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I hate to say this...but it sounds like it's doing the same thing mine was...

the sensors sound like they are going...that part from the dealership is around $1400

1 - 5 of 5 Posts