VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

My gls2 is 3 years old. It has about 15k. But its trunk lid struts are all rusted. Any one else has the same problem? Is this why 2002 and up use chrome or zinc capsules around the struts? Is this on rust warranty, by any chance?
My gls1, which is over 6 years old, has never had any problems with its struts.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case I confused anyone... I was referring to 2001 Jetta. Please let me know if anyone has a similar situation.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Hmmmm never had this problem with my Jetta. And first I ever heard of this. Can you try lub'in it up with some WD-40 or some other lithium grease to make them work? Or are they rusted beyond lubing? If so you can probably order a new set from your local dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Their moving componets are intact and fully functional. It's the struts' outer encapsulation which is all superficially rusted. I noticed it only a couple weeks ago by a pure coincidence. I barely driven the car over the last 3 years. I wonder where the rust came from.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gls1 & gls2:
...I barely driven the car over the last 3 years. I wonder where the rust came from.

Thanks again.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe its depressed that you don't take her out enough. How badly is it rusted? Is it a surface thing or deep?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, if anyone should be depressed for not being driven around it is my A3 Jetta.
) Although I've driven the A4 for 15k, the A3 was driven for only about 7-8k over the last 3 years.
) And I don't hear any complaints from this one.
)

As for the rust... yes, it is on the surface of black cylinders of the struts. But it is all over both of them and it does not come off either.
(

Speaking of complaining... the A3 Jetta can be seated for months without moving and yet its ignition starts right away. A4, on the other hand, nowadays only starts after a 4th or a 5th attempt... after several hours of being parked, plus its "MIL" light comes on now most of the times. However, this odd behavior A4 began exhibiting only after sitting motionless for several months earlier this year. All in all, this behavior has been present since April of 2003. Nothing was found odd on a recent trip to a dealership in August, because the MIL was off on that day.
) But I'm not too worried about it because I intend to try run some diagnostics on it (when I'll get a chance) before I can call it a "trouble". And I will try to take care of it myself instead of letting dealership mechanics dig into it.
)

BUT... I am certainly open for suggestions here.
)

P.S. I am even gonna do oil changes by myself this time - as I am trying to gradually phase out my trips to a dealership. A3 enjoyed this continuous "priveledge" for all 6.5 years of its life, and A4 for all 3 of its. I just think I can do most of the service by myself, plus I don't have worry about somebody scratching them, or what not, accidently.
)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts