VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys dropped a TT engine in your type II? I would love to see one (and someday own one).

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
you mean the 1.8t? I know 1.8t's have been done many times. i don't know the difference between the TT and the others. 1.8tguy has pics in the showoff section of his. But i think it's out of a vw.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 89jettawolfs:
you mean the 1.8t? I know 1.8t's have been done many times. i don't know the difference between the TT and the others. 1.8tguy has pics in the showoff section of his. But i think it's out of a vw.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assumed that the TT engines (from Audi TTs) were somewhat different than the ones in VWs but not sure if they would fly in a VW. I know in the new TTs they have a 225hp 1.8t and a 250 3.2 V6 24v (maybe the same engine as the R32??). I'm not sure what the older Audi TTs had but maybe someone could fill me in. I've heard of poeple putting Audi TT engines in older VWs.

It would be my dream if I had the money to have a nice clean type II Jetta with a newer TT engine in it. Nice and light and would be a freakin' rocket. I also just really like the look of type IIs when they are kept up and have a nice body kit on em.

[ October 15, 2003: Message edited by: Tommunist ]

·
Registered
526 Posts
its been done..i know RMA design has done it and if i decide to do the 1.8t tt motor in my mk2 golf im going to go to them..they have put out some kick arse cars...i believe the only difference is the turbo inlet, some of the computer stuff, exhaust, and the tt engine i believe in twin intercooled

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vlksgnspeed:
its been done..i know RMA design has done it and if i decide to do the 1.8t tt motor in my mk2 golf im going to go to them..they have put out some kick arse cars...i believe the only difference is the turbo inlet, some of the computer stuff, exhaust, and the tt engine i believe in twin intercooled<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How much would it cost to get a TT engine and then make it fit in a MK2?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vlksgnspeed:
its been done..i know RMA design has done it and if i decide to do the 1.8t tt motor in my mk2 golf im going to go to them..they have put out some kick arse cars...i believe the only difference is the turbo inlet, some of the computer stuff, exhaust, and the tt engine i believe in twin intercooled<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 1.8T motor RMA put in a MKII was a 8 valve G60 motor with a turbo swap, not a 1.8T 20 valve motor. I know Ryan personally, and unfortunately, he is no longer in business. The shop has been closed for about two months now.

There are two different 1.8T motors out there for the TT, a 180 hp made for the front wheel drive TT, and a 225 hp motor for the AWD motor. Putting a 180 hp 1.8T motor would be pointless, as it would be far cheaper to put in a 1.8T AEB (older passat) motor with much bigger valves that would have far more potential and much less expensive. The 225 motor probably could be done, but then you would have to also install an AWD drivetrain, which would include ripping out the floor pan and having something custom made that would allow clearance for the new drivetrain. This also would not be cheap at all, in fact it would probably cost $15k-$20 in parts and labor alone to make this happen, plus then you would have to find someone that is capable of doing this and there are not that many people around the US with this experience.

·
Registered
526 Posts
i think if u swap out the tranny u could use the tt motor but i coudl be wrong the quote for that for an mk2 was 7000 which comes iwth an intercooler and some other stuff too..have fun

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
whats the point, if someone sees you have a 20v mk2 they aren't going to ask, is that a TT engine. It makes no difference what car it came out of, its all badass. like he said, AEB out of old pasat is easy and cheep.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
whats the point, if someone sees you have a 20v mk2 they aren't going to ask, is that a TT engine. It makes no difference what car it came out of, its all badass. like he said, AEB out of old pasat is easy and cheep.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is the AEB motor? Is it a 1.8t? Confused....

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
What is the AEB motor? Is it a 1.8t? Confused....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The AEB motor is a engine code for early Passat 1.8T motors. It is simply another engine code, similar to the AWD, AWW, AWP, etc. The valves are larger on the AEB motor, plus it is already drive by cable (DBC). All other 1.8T motors are Drive by Wire (DBW) that I know of (could be wrong here but I don't think so). If you would want any standalone engine managment for the swap, this is a huge plus as there is no standalone currently offered that works on the DBW setups, they must be transferred over to DBC anyhow. Since this is already done on the AEB, it is usually the motor of choice for 20v 1.8T swaps because of the valves and DBC setup they come with from the factory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts