VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was told i needed a 40,000 mile service that costs 500 bucks, and i told them id do it myself, i was wondering what all it involved, are we talking about the same thing?

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Your 40K would most likely include changing of all oils including steering, trans, motor etc.

Brett I got the Denso Iridium plugs and I really like them. They are expensive however like $80, second choice would be the NGK's. Filters are a pain on the VR6, I have not yet looked into changing the others but I heard it's a pain.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
just got the 80k mile service done. it was like $350. I also got the denso iridiums. I will see what else the bentley says when I get home.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:

Brett I got the Denso Iridium plugs and I really like them. They are expensive however like $80, second choice would be the NGK's. Filters are a pain on the VR6, I have not yet looked into changing the others but I heard it's a pain.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember Josh saying he got the Denso Iridiums somewhere for like $9/plug or something, anyone know where? Also, I asked the dealer and they will do the fuel and pollen filters for like $30 each, so I think I will just do that.

[ November 25, 2003: Message edited by: Straz85 ]

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
I remember Josh saying he got the Denso Iridiums somewhere for like $9/plug or something, anyone know where? Also, I asked the dealer and they will do the fuel and pollen filters for like $30 each, so I think I will just do that.
[ November 25, 2003: Message edited by: Straz85 ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sparkplugs.com, and they were 11.99ea. That was for my 1.8t, not sure what the price for VR6 is.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Fryauff:
Sparkplugs.com, and they were 11.99ea. That was for my 1.8t, not sure what the price for VR6 is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NGK's it is! Thanks Josh!

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Replacing the pollen filter is easy. It is under the black guard against the window on the passenger side. Just unscrew the panel and thats it.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
Replacing the pollen filter is easy. It is under the black guard against the window on the passenger side. Just unscrew the panel and thats it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Double posting here since Dave deleted the other ones I can see? Thanks Raf, you just saved me $30. I ordered the plugs too, $55 with shipping for the NGK's from sparklugs.com.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
for 2000 vws
40k mile/80k mile maintenance schedule:

1.8t /vr6
engine oil:change
engine filter: change
spark plugs: replace
timing belt: check condition (1.8t only)
replace v-belt (1.8t only-80k mile)

all cars
w/w fluid: check level
auto-shift lock: check
brake system: check
wheels: rotate front to rear
air bag system (every 12 months regardless of mileage)
battery: check electrolyte level
dust pollen filter: replace
cooling system: check level
manual trans: check for leaks
auto trans: check for leaks
tires/spare: check condition
drive shafts: check boots
obd: check DTC memory
door hinge:
headlights: adjust
during road test:
after road test:
air cleaner (every 4 years for Golf, jetta, beetle)
v-belt: check tension/condition
ribbed belt: check condition
brake fluid: replace every 2 years regardless of mileage
check atf and diff. level
front axle (tie rod, etc.)

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
So I will be doing a tune up soon and I have a few questions:

1. What kind of plugs and wires do you reccomend?
2. Are the fuel and pollen filters easy to change? And do the brands matter?
3. Is there anything else other than these things, the oil, and air filter I should change?

Thanks!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
awsome! thanks brian thats exactally what i was looking for!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts