VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 1.8 16v engine and im looking to do a turbo. my one friend just bought a 2002 wrx with 5000 miles on it. he is doing a turbo upgrade around christmas and said he would sell his turbo to me for cheap. but i was wondering if anyone knew if 1.)would this work? and 2) what is a stock wrx turbo? does anyone know?

·
Registered
96 Posts
i dont know but i would guess its a mitsubishi turbo because they make a large amount of the turbos today. even volvo stopped useing garret{air research} to go with mitsus turbos. the maker is not whats important, the turbos houseing is going to be really hard to make work with your dub. you are gunna need to find a really good welder and machine shop to make that swap work.

[ November 14, 2002: Message edited by: b3nnybl4z3 ]

·
Registered
40 Posts
this is true..your going to spend more than you should to make this work..you could get an audi 5000 turbo cheap and this will work with alot less work.good luck! if you need help with the install we can help you out. there is alot involved in turboing a 16v motor.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i have my hands on a 1.8t stock turbo(i know its small) but i got it for free. it's got 49k on it and it came out of a 98 passat so i dont think it was beat at all. do you think that will be easier? i was planning on getting the atp exhaust manifold too. my engine has the euro spec inectors so it's getting a little more fuel then stock. suggestions? comments? concerns?

·
Registered
4 Posts
A WRX turbo whould be more than sufficient. It probably is a mitsu turbo, like a 16g. I would love to come across one of those for dirt cheap.

·
Registered
96 Posts
from like 84-92 the turbo diesel exhaust manifold will work, plus diesels never kill the turbo so go look in your junkyards. simple bolt on and then turn the fuel up and you can run 9 pounds. if you get the boost regulator from a audi 5000 and put it on with your cis you can run up to a bar about 13 pounds. thats enough to double your horsepower i think. but at that point your breaking the tranny. hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Which engine would be the best w/ the tdi turbo(as far as decreasing lag and the amount of air the head can flow)?

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: theVWlovinpikey ]

·
Registered
1 Posts
i want to turbo my mk2 aswell but i got a 1.3 and i am woundering wot size of low compresion pistons i need to do this. would pistons out of a 1.3 toyota starlet turbo fit??

·
Registered
3 Posts
from like 84-92 the turbo diesel exhaust manifold will work, plus diesels never kill the turbo so go look in your junkyards. simple bolt on and then turn the fuel up and you can run 9 pounds. if you get the boost regulator from a audi 5000 and put it on with your cis you can run up to a bar about 13 pounds. thats enough to double your horsepower i think. but at that point your breaking the tranny. hope this helps.
Good luck fitting that manifold to a 16v head:rolleyes:
noobs

·
Resident Post Whore
2,544 Posts
A WRX turbo whould be more than sufficient. It probably is a mitsu turbo, like a 16g. I would love to come across one of those for dirt cheap.
i have a s16g its a legit one not that ebay crap either all it needs is a clip to attach the hot side to the coldside i had it for my 1g dsm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts