VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
i bought my 94 Golf GTI about a year ago and have been restoing it for a while. i finally got it on the road and drivable. now i want toys.
so first question, does anyone know if there is a way to rip a turbo off a TDI and install it on my car? if so what do i need to rip off it?
if u cant, can anyone tell me were i can get the cheapest turbo kit?

thanks

·
Resident Post Whore
2,544 Posts
Well there are two things I would like to say.

First: Turboing a vehicle is allot more complicating then simply ripping one off another vehicle and bolting it on. There are a few things you need to consider. Some of those things would include. Do I want to go all out or do I just want enough to add a few horse power. What turbo accessories do I want. You also may want to consider rebuilding your motor with supporting mods so that incase you get hungry for more boost you can run a higher psi with out blowing your motor up. So I recommend researching what set up you would want to run, how to turbo, and what the turbo does in the long run before you go ahead and buy your turbo. Also look and see how many people have tone the 2.0t conversion to a mk3 if not many it is probably a good idea to not try turboing yours when you have never done anything of this sort before. Which brings me to my second point.

Second: It is not worth it to turbo any 2.0 because for the same money you put into the motor you could have performed a swap that has the capabilities of holding more boost and power.
So read the sig and thats all you need to know haah.
But to answer your question check out c2motorsport or bahnbrenner and you will see that turbo kits are expensive.
But if you are still content with turboing your 2.sloww i would recommend you doing the 8v-16v head conversion upgrade your fuel system, get a head spacer to lower compression and even rebuilding your motor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Turbo it, do it all the way! There are some starter kits on Ebay for the MKIII so this way you can start with like 2-3lbs of boost and eventually upgrade to what you want. I am going to Turbo my 2.0, I'm going to use the motor I have in it now and then buy a second motor and build it up then upgrade the turbo and so much more! And the only reason Stealth doesn't like turbos on 2.0 is because he has had his VDUB forever and can only put struts and springs on it

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
i would agree with stealth more than you version. I would spend money and put in a vr6. You can do that, then chip it, redo the exhaust, all the easier things, and still get just as much out of it then you will with a turbochargerd 2.slow. Not to mention the vr6s can withstand a lot more force than the 2.0 can. If you put say a stage 2 turbo in, which is still around 2 grand, and thats all you do. You are going to strain your motor, and blow parts all over the place. You would be rebuilding the motor to support the turbo. Why not buy a vr6 and swap it with the 2.0 then do your rebuilding, either way you are going to have to do it. Then turbo it when you have money, power gain will be almost double that of the 2 slow

·
Resident Post Whore
2,544 Posts
Actually version, I have only put struts on my jetta because all in all it is a dd and I would not like to ruin it because I need it for work in school unlike you I am living in the real world and if I dont have dependable transportation my ass is grass.
My mustang has allot of shit done to it and my eclipse has some stuff done to it so I know some shit when it comes to modding cars and in the dsm world if you even say ebay turbo they think your a dumb ass.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well you can get plenty of power out of a 2.0 motor and who gives a damn if you have an eclipse or a mustang this isn't the forum for that. There are plenty of people who have made significant gains from even smaller motors, why would you want to swap out everything in your engine bay to just put a bigger engine? everything on your car is good enough up to almost 500hp and the idea of putting a 16v head on a 8v is utterly retarded/hard to get if you read the thread on it its useless.

·
Resident Post Whore
2,544 Posts
Well just so you know you total piece of shit I wasn't stating that they are faster or better I was just stating that I have some knowledge under my belt and i still have allot to learn. Maybe you know more who gives a shit. You know what size motors are in eclipses? 2.0s. I was just letting the guy know that there are possible consequences to turboing a na motor and a motor that isn't favored by an auto community. I told him to choose a different motor and you know that the 1.8t is an option and its a smaller motor. So before you start rambling on about how my cars are slow and that a smaller displacement motor would kill anything I own you better know your facts.
EClipse:4g63 2.0 is in the worlds fastest 4 cylinder.
That smart car has a gsxr crotch rocket engine in it and it is a superlight vehicle, not a smart car motor thats modded.
The 2.0 isn't able to hold 500hp safely if it could even hold it.
And I wasn't going to get in to an argument over it.
what do you want me to say to the guy, you should turbo your 2.0 its a great idea so what if the 1.8t or vr6 have more aftermarket parts available and that they are known for more hp.
If the 8v-16v head conversion was pointless than I am sure people just do it for shits and giggles. Its not only vw people that do this its honda people, i have seen it done with ford 4cyl motors by adding a volvo head, fiat owners do it.

I am not saying building a making a fast 2.0 isnt possible I was simply saying that it is highly unworth it. For the same money you can have something better.

So version this argument is ended.

I said what I want to say and if you don't like I don't give a shit.
If I am wrong anyone I apologize.

p.s
! And the only reason Stealth doesn't like turbos on 2.0 is because he has had his VDUB forever and can only put struts and springs on it
And I don't like turbos on 2.0s because it is pointless and when you can find me a video of a 8v 2.0 getting more then 400hp I will apologize and accept my lack of knowledge for the turboed 2.0s but if you think it is only me that doesn't like 2.0s then think again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I built turbos for a living, and unless you spend about 3 grand excluding the turbo on your engine, its not woth a turbo

·
Registered
93 Posts
no need for turbos on the street people get killed from turbos, diesel and strip cars are what turbos are for, and if you are running on the strip no offence you dont need a v-dub

·
Registered
93 Posts
And in the near future we will not be able to use the term 2.sloww because the new 2010 tdi's are 2.0 arent they? HAHA :)

·
Resident Post Whore
2,544 Posts
yea i dont know why the guy even brought up my lack of mods when i had the facts you know and i like turboed cars when a turbo can be ran safely and like i said the 2.0 isnt exactly the most capable car its quick stock but to make it any quicker you have to saw off an arm and a leg

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have two 2.0l cars, one deserves a turbo, one doesn't. It's very simple, really... My 4g63 which came turboed stock didn't have enough gusto for me, so i yanked the motor and rebuilt the ENTIRE THING to withstand 25-30 lbs of boost (port/polish, cams, valves/springs, head studs, 3 layer head gasket, rods, pistons, crank) and then once that was done, I put on a Garrett GT35R turbo not some ebay bullshit, a Tial 44mm external wastegate, Greddy Type RS blow off valve, and a FMIC. Then I had to have the trans rebuilt to handle the power, and have it legitimately dynoed and tuned to a modest 442 hp at 26 psi :) Let this be a lesson... even getting 400 hp out of an already turboed car, you gotta do some serious work.

Would I ever think of doing this to my 2.slow?
not in a million years
Why not?
the motor is not designed for a turbo... its that simple. If I had to do that much work to one of the best turbocharged motors of all time to run a decent amount of boost safely, just imagine the hours and thousands of dollars you wouold spend building a 2.slow for a turbo, not to mention who the fuck is going to write a turbo map for your ecu.

Class is over. Logic prevails once again.

·
Resident Post Whore
2,544 Posts
I have two 2.0l cars, one deserves a turbo, one doesn't. It's very simple, really... My 4g63 which came turboed stock didn't have enough gusto for me, so i yanked the motor and rebuilt the ENTIRE THING to withstand 25-30 lbs of boost (port/polish, cams, valves/springs, head studs, 3 layer head gasket, rods, pistons, crank) and then once that was done, I put on a Garrett GT35R turbo not some ebay bullshit, a Tial 44mm external wastegate, Greddy Type RS blow off valve, and a FMIC. Then I had to have the trans rebuilt to handle the power, and have it legitimately dynoed and tuned to a modest 442 hp at 26 psi :) Let this be a lesson... even getting 400 hp out of an already turboed car, you gotta do some serious work.

Would I ever think of doing this to my 2.slow?
not in a million years
Why not?
the motor is not designed for a turbo... its that simple. If I had to do that much work to one of the best turbocharged motors of all time to run a decent amount of boost safely, just imagine the hours and thousands of dollars you wouold spend building a 2.slow for a turbo, not to mention who the fuck is going to write a turbo map for your ecu.

Class is over. Logic prevails once again.
once again thanks for helping me make sure im not crazy

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
its now what 4-1 for no turbo?

I think summerfield has the answer and that means stealth is not going crazy either.
Version did put his opinion in, which is good, on his part, but thats what the forums are for. Which is the best way to go? It is solved. Facts are proven

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
oh and that whole smart car thing?
Look at the lotus elise or exige. The most they will have is a supercharged 6. thats top of the line models, usually they are a 4 banger. But yet how do they beat mustangs, skylines, bmws etc: They are a small ass car, and VERY lightweight and build for it. Smart cars are the same, they are lightweight meaning you put anything over 250 hp its gonna move no questions. You take that same motor and put it in a real f*ing car, you will see its much much less powerful.
Would not matter anyways cause id run those pieces of crap of the road anyways. They got nothing on me.

·
Registered
366 Posts
hello,
i bought my 94 Golf GTI about a year ago and have been restoing it for a while. i finally got it on the road and drivable. now i want toys.
so first question, does anyone know if there is a way to rip a turbo off a TDI and install it on my car? if so what do i need to rip off it?
if u cant, can anyone tell me were i can get the cheapest turbo kit?

thanks
honestly dude its not worth it....but if you are hellbent on boosting the 2.slo look into bahnbrenner. very nice kits:K:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts