VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a good turbo kit and i cant find one. The only one i can find is the kinetic turbo kit which sucks and its like 4K anyone know any good ones or do i just have to part it and buy everything separately?

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
The kinetic kit is just fine...you just need to change a couple components. 4K sounds about right for a 12v VR6 turbo kit.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what should i replace, the turbo in general and get a garret? idk can i just buy the stage 3

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
You should upgrade internals before doing anything more than that Kinetic Kit. Sounds like you need to do some research.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats why i am on here, to get help cause i look online and i cant find anything telling me what i should do before getting the kinetic kit. I figured bigger fuel injectors, and a new manifold cause the plastic one wont hold the boost, So anyones help on what i should get before i buy the kit would be greatly appreciated

·
Resident Post Whore
2,544 Posts
I beg the differ cody the 12v internals can handle upwards of 450hp and yes the kinetic kit is a good kit. Has everything you need to do a turbo build. I would recommend a head spacer from c2 motorsports to lower the compression though. If the motor has high miles like 120k+ id recommend a rebuild. Turbos aren't something to cheap out on cause like everyone says in the end you get what you pay for. If you don't plan on putting at least 3k into boosting your car I wouldn't do it esp if you dont plan on rebuilding your motor I recommend having some money set aside so if you blow your motor to shit you have some back up money.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
I beg the differ cody the 12v internals can handle upwards of 450hp and yes the kinetic kit is a good kit. Has everything you need to do a turbo build. I would recommend a head spacer from c2 motorsports to lower the compression though. If the motor has high miles like 120k+ id recommend a rebuild. Turbos aren't something to cheap out on cause like everyone says in the end you get what you pay for. If you don't plan on putting at least 3k into boosting your car I wouldn't do it esp if you dont plan on rebuilding your motor I recommend having some money set aside so if you blow your motor to shit you have some back up money.
Kits like that are designed to be ran mildly, a lot of people up the pressure without upgrading the proper stuff and fry the internals. I know of several people who have destroyed a VR6 with a mild turbo kit because of pulling too much timing, high EGT, far too lean A/F mixtures, etc.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
K ive talked to a few kids that have the kinetic turbo kits and they have told me i should just build my own so any help would be nice... i mean my plan was getting a cheap turbo kit and just buying a brand new garret turbo with it idk i just need some help

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
K ive talked to a few kids that have the kinetic turbo kits and they have told me i should just build my own so any help would be nice... i mean my plan was getting a cheap turbo kit and just buying a brand new garret turbo with it idk i just need some help
never buy a cheap turbo kit. if you want a turbo that badly you should just buy a stage 2 everything 1.8t swap or just build your motor. thats my 2 cents

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you are planning on building your own kit you can possibly make it happen for around 3k

Main list

Exhaust manifold
turbo
inlet/return oil lines and possibly water lines if turbo is also water cooled
downpipe
intake
get an intercooler kit with a fmic
software or stand alone
if going chip a bigger maf
injectors
A couple feet of vacuum hose
clamps,nuts and bolts

I wouldn't worry about the intake manifold until it blows, it may never happen tho

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I think he should get another intake manifold cause the plastic one was never meant to handle boost, ya it may never blow, but the whole time you'll be wondering what if it blows up the whole time until it does

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ya i figured i dont want to buy a cheap kit i just need help on building my own kit so thats what i need :) thanks ground up

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
build ur motor first............... turbo later.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts