VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a t4 turbo with every thing to install it a guy told me that i need to retard the timing and all kinds of other kinds of things they say that maybe it wont run good or wont run at all PLEASE HELP WITH SOME INFO

·
Registered
133 Posts
Honestly, the best solution is to call, email, or even visit a local a tuner shop. Sometimes you do have to retard timing, have boost at 5 - 7 psi, ect ect. Any information come with your kit? I am assuming you have a garrett t3/t4. Is the kit from ATP or some other source?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's goin on a 1.8 8v digi 1 with a 2.0 head, also the instructoins just say to install it and run your car it, doesnt say anything about retarding time or that i need a msd ignition just plug and play.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Who's kit is it? When dealing with turbo stuff, sometimes it isn't just plug -n-play. It is, but it isn't. Just like a roll bar. They send you one pre-made, but it never fits as it should

Here are some instructions from ATP's site. While they may not be for your specific application, they can give you some idea.

ATP Turbo Support

The main thing is to get it on. Once it is on, you can adjust boost or timing if need be. You shouldn't need a msd ignition set up. Hopefully it isn't your daily driver so you have more time to tune it and ask questions here.

The biggest thing is ask more questions and give more info so everyone can help you out

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
With digi 1 it shouldn't be any problem. Digi 2 it wouldn't work. What did this 1.8L 8v come from? Engine code? You may have to lower compression.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know what the engine code is but it used to be a jetta 92 carat, the turbo fits an all just that i had all those quetions it's ready to go just i wanted to check with you guys to have other opinions about it but if somebody out there done it before and had other problems i liked to know. thanks and keep the info coming.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Might be 10:1, I'll need an engine code to tell for sure. There's a machined surface on the block on the front just below the head mounting surface. The first 2 letters of the number on there is the engine code.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts