VW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that once you install the turbo timer, your stock alarm will break?..and if so...how do i prevent this from happening?

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Well since a Turbo Timer makes your car continue to run (cool down) your stock alarm cannot be armed while your car is running. Dunno if there is away around that; boys?

[ November 12, 2003: Message edited by: db ]

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but i heard its going to stop working.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTI 1.8T:
but i heard its going to stop working.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i don't know if it will stop working but when i heard of people using turbo timers on there 1.8t they used an aftermarket alarm that will work with the turbo timer. i don't think the stock alarm can be used.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
Well since a Turbo Timer makes your car continue to run (cool down) your stock alarm cannot be armed while your car is running. Dunno if there is away around that; boys?

[ November 12, 2003: Message edited by: db ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, So if i do happen to install the turbo timer..the stock alarm would still work, just that it would not work wen the engine is on? but once its off it'll work again?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
stock alarm really isnt that great anyway so its not that big of a deal however you can still lock your doors by sticking your key in the door and locking it manualy.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
christ derek

Ill explain it tonight i dont feel like typing.

Sum it up,keeps the car running so the oil in the turbo can be replaced with cooler oil. Once the key is tuurned andn the you leave the car it stays running for a set time so the oil doesnt glaze ono the berrings. Ill go into details tmr buddy

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
This handy dandy little item is suppose to fix that little alarm issue in the newer cars.

All Turbo Timers are designed to extend a turbocharger's life by allowing the engine to idle for a pre-set amount of time after the ignition key has been turned off and removed from the key cylinder. This permits the engine oil/coolant to circulate through the turbocharger bearing housing, drawing heat out of the bearings and impeller shaft to lower the temperature to a safe level before the engine is shut down.

[ November 14, 2003: Message edited by: Josh Fryauff ]

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
223 Posts
I wouldnt recommend instaling a turbo timer just because when you pressure your turbo and stop it thinking u have a turbo timer and letting your car/turbo keep runing for 3-5 min to get it cooled by hot oil thats already inside it. thats just a waist ask some bigger companies/ tuners motopersona/dubwerks and see what they tell you. I personaly suggest that before just when you are about to stop your car just drive slow last couple of blocks that way its better u get the cold air into it and it will work much better than a turbo timer.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Fryauff:
This handy dandy little item is suppose to fix that little alarm issue in the newer cars.

All Turbo Timers are designed to extend a turbocharger's life by allowing the engine to idle for a pre-set amount of time after the ignition key has been turned off and removed from the key cylinder. This permits the engine oil/coolant to circulate through the turbocharger bearing housing, drawing heat out of the bearings and impeller shaft to lower the temperature to a safe level before the engine is shut down.

[ November 14, 2003: Message edited by: Josh Fryauff ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What handy little dandy item does is it?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTI 1.8T:
What handy little dandy item does is it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you open the link?

It's a trigger circuit that allows newer VW/Audi models to use a turbo timer, without the typical alram activation problems. I don't own one, or a TT for that matter, and my car is a '00; so I have no first hand experience with this product. Just going by what others have done to fix this issue.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
12 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
Well since a Turbo Timer makes your car continue to run (cool down) your stock alarm cannot be armed while your car is running. Dunno if there is away around that; boys?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok let me explain: In case you have a 02/03/04 1.8T and you install a Turbo Timer, your VW remote wont work to lock the doors neither to activate the factory alarm because the car computer sees the engine runing and does not allow the alarm receptor to work.
Installing the COMPANION gadget will solve this problemo.

The COMPANION unit interfase with the factory alarm allowing it to work and receive your VW remote signal to arm the factory alarm and lock the doors while the engine is running with the turbo timer.

For more info check: COMPANION

Isaac

·
Registered
12 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big dub:
stock alarm really isnt that great anyway so its not that big of a deal.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well the VW factory alarm is very good. If you want you can add to the factory VW alarm aftermarket glass break detector, shock sensor or radar sensor.

Also, you can change the alarm/horn and install a siren.

The good thing to upgrade the factory VW alarm is that you does not have to carry a aditional remote with you already VW remote.

Here you will see the alarm brain under your steering wheel. The black Conector at the left is the one that have the alarm/horn, hood switch wire, etc

If you want to add aditional aftermarket sensor you conect the sensor triguer signal to the brown thin wire you see on that black plug on position #5

Also on the same black conector you see a yellow wire at possition #11 well that wire is Black/Yellow, well that is your alarm/horn. You can conect there a Siren.

[ February 04, 2004: Message edited by: Turbo Boss ]

·
Registered
777 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Turbo Boss:
Well the VW factory alarm is very good. If you want you can add to the factory VW alarm aftermarket glass break detector, shock sensor or radar sensor.

Also, you can change the alarm/horn and install a siren.

The good thing to upgrade the factory VW alarm is that you does not have to carry a aditional remote with you already VW remote.

Here you will see the alarm brain under your steering wheel. The black Conector at the left is the one that have the alarm/horn, hood switch wire, etc

If you want to add aditional aftermarket sensor you conect the sensor triguer signal to the brown thin wire you see on that black plug on position #5

Also on the same black conector you see a yellow wire at possition #11 well that wire is Black/Yellow, well that is your alarm/horn. You can conect there a Siren.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

awsome info! it almost deserves its own topic! ive been wanting to do some alarm work for a while! any aditional info you have one this would be great

·
Registered
12 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GalacticVR6:
awsome info! it almost deserves its own topic! ive been wanting to do some alarm work for a while! any aditional info you have one this would be great<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey GalacticVR6, thank you. Here is also a web that show where is located the
factory alarm/horn in case you want to install a siren. Accesing that plug is a PITA.

If you need any help let me know.

Isaac

1 - 16 of 16 Posts