VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took out my engine light fuse to try and hardwire my radar dectector (using an add-a-fuse). I took the fuse out, pluged in the a-a-fuse, and plugged the engine light fuse into the add-a-fuse. the detector did not turn on when I turned the ignition on. So I took the add a fuse out, and plugged the engine light fuse back in to its original spot. when I turned my car back on, the check engine light came on, and the led screen flashed "emissions shop" or something like that. Is there a way to turn that light off without having it hooked up to a "code checker" computer? I don't want to take it in JUST to have them clear all of the codes. Thanks.

[ January 04, 2003: Message edited by: silverGTI ]

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I agree with you that you don't want to pay for a simple code reset.

Do you have a friend or anybody who is a technician? Doesn't have to be VW.
All the dealerships use pretty much same OBD II or similar product to do the same job.

If you don't know anybody see if you can talk to a tech at VW dealership and tell him you will spot him lunch or $10 for a simple reset. You will be suprised what even a fresh coffee will do.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:

You will be suprised what even a fresh coffee will do.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

mmmmmm.... coffeeee........... *sip*

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phunyguy:
TFT242!!!

omg that picture looks awesome!!! they should make a convertible Jetta - that looks so hot....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. It was getting cold outside so I put the top up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had a couple check engine lights go off as well. The check engine light does go off after a while, but my follow-up question is that is it really necessary to have the computer reset? the light is off so can I assume everything is performing properly? In other words does it have any effect on my performance? I should be taking my car in sometime in february when I would imagine they'll reset it anyways...

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
phunyguy, I was just kidding. sorry if I came across as being a dick. that wasn't my intentions. sorry dude. Stebe-your car shouldn't perform any differnt unless there is a problem-which is why your light is on in the first place. I hope that made sense.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Try unplugging your battery for about 10-15 min and see if that works. I might or might not. I've just heard this before.
jon

·
Registered
37 Posts
TFT242!!!

omg that picture looks awesome!!! they should make a convertible Jetta - that looks so hot....

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
First of all, you are only in DEEP trouble only when the light is actually flashing.

Usually when the light comes on and stays on, the system has already corrected the situation. For example, when you put a Cold Air Filter in it might spike and trigger the system to warn you. Which means the problem isn't currently there but it was and it is the job of the system to tell you about it.

Now, if you crack your cylinder head (God forbid), you will get it flashing.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for your help guys. It turned off this morning when I started it up. But db, I will def call up steve at creative car tunes if something like that happens again (where it doesn't shut off). good idea too TF. sorry bout the comments.

[ January 06, 2003: Message edited by: silverGTI ]

·
Registered
37 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
thanks for your help guys. It turned off this morning when I started it up. But db, I will def call up steve at creative car tunes if something like that happens again (where it doesn't shut off). good idea too TF. and I think Phunyguy is trying to add to his posts with P.Ps (pointless posts). hehehe.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ummm.. thats not my intentions, i just post things that i see fit and i have absolutely nothing else to do today except sit on a damn Navy boat because i am on duty. Do you mind if i post on a forum? is it ok with you? And i dont think the posts are pointless, its simple conversation. i would understand where you are coming from if i was just spamming the forum with random letters and numbers - but im not - im keeping conversation. so ease up.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
That's what the dealer told me. If it's not flashing, most likley my CAI or DV might have caused it and it should go out. But if it's blinking bring it in as soon as i can.
jon

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Where you flooring it when both lights came on??
If you where, then the traction control was on while your CEL came on. Also if you use higher octane gas, you'll get less pinging and your engine will run better. But i have also heard that some people where actually having trouble running 100 octane fuel, even 93.
jon

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Not to mention your fuel economy at 100 octane???? I put 89 most of the time and once a quarter I fill her up with 94. I really don't feel my car running worse with 94 (Sunoco only), I actually feel more power. (Howerver it could be just in my head) Theoretical and Scientifically the higher the octane the better.

Oh...what's that? A quarter? Ok I call somebody who cares.....

[ January 08, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
If the traction light is on constantly, that means you have traction control truned off..... push the button on the dash under the AC vent and it should turn the light off (and the TCS on) I hope thats what your problem is... if not, Im not trying to make you feel stupid or anything, I just like to cover the basics first....

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
here is something to try...unplug the check engine fuses (to the left of your steering wheel). then plug them back in. then start and run your car. I ran it one time, and the light was still on. I drove it the next day, and it went off. Something to try. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts