VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Personally I like the design of the twin unit. I have seen it, as well as some hard data (vagcom logs) proving that it definately decreased intake temps considerably without too much pressure loss. The only problem with it in my opinion is that it is very pricey for what you get, when a good FMIC is only a tiny bit more $$$. I do not like the upgraded single side mount intercoolers like the FM and the Forge units. A buddy of mine had the Forge, and he noticed no advantages at all with it really, and it cost him $500. In my opinion, $500 can be better spent somewhere else to get better gains or on an intercooler that is proven to be highly efficient.

[ June 09, 2003: Message edited by: Big Dong ]

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i say liquid to air!!! haah thats pritty pricey though. but bad ass.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by supertom9903:
Well, the FMIC's I've seen are about $250 more than the twin upgrade. Do you know how much of a difference in hp/tq between the two?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may not realize a HP or TQ gain at all with just about any intercooler. You will realize that it is more consistent with a cold run though. The real advantage to going with a FMIC versus dual SMIC's is future capabilities. If you were to upgrade to a larger turbo, you would be able to flow more with a larger FMIC w/ more surface area. If you won't do this in the future, then the duals will suit you fine.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My friend put an ABD front mount intercooler last week and absolutely notices gains aspecially on highway/freeway/expressway which everone best fits u anyway thats common sense more air/friction is goin on the car. I also like the look of it it looks bad azz

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by supertom9903:
Well, I've seen ABD boast 12% HP increase. Is this acurate?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In Theory there should be an increase in HP with a FMIC. Whether it be ABD or other.

However, if you have only CAI and CHIP you should notice minimal gains. Nothing huge.

I noticed the biggest gain recently by going with Hi-Flow Cat. Converter. Highest gain since she got chipped for sure.

EDIT: Also could be a cheaper way to gain HP!

[ June 11, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
So who all makes a FMIC now? I saw a silver GTI here in town that has one, but I was going the other way, so I just got to wave and didn't get to talk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts