VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who did everyone vote for?

See, my vote would be for #7, 2000 GTI owned by Michael Pancheri, BUT I really don't like the comment he made in the "Pick me, pick me" section. For everyone who doens't have European Car this month, he said ""I'm sick of MK4 owners who rice out their cars with 18's and coilovers." Does he not realize that this gives you better performance? I do love his car though. I love it so much cause it's such a sleeper! Can you imagine pulling up next to him, looking and thinking it's realtively stock, then he completely obliterates you when you try to race him? ::drooling:: But since I don't like Mr. Pancheri, I'm going with #11, the 1992 GTI.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
not sure but i think 18 inch wheels actually decrease 1/4 mile times and add weight... the best wheel for raceing is a light weight 15 or 16 inch rim.. just an opinion

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big dub:
not sure but i think 18 inch wheels actually decrease 1/4 mile times and add weight... the best wheel for raceing is a light weight 15 or 16 inch rim.. just an opinion<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I sort of agree. Eurotuner did a test and proved that 15's are the fastest but he 17's felt the most stable. But coilovers are the best for handling. Not only height adjustable but much stiffer than a spring strut combo. I voted for the rabbit too. I love old school.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
Doesn't the tire generally weigh less than the wheel? That would mean that larger wheels = less weight. Also, the larger the wheel, the wider you can go, which means more traction. I don't know, I guess I could be wrong, I just don't like he says it's ricey to have coilovers and 18's, when in reality, someone who had those with all the other suspension mods as him would probably outhandle him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes the tires weight less than the wheel(in most situations) so no smaller the wheel the less weight. And it's not uncomon to 15x8's and so forth. It really depends on driver preference. But for control and speed 16's are probably the best. And you could go with a 16x7 and most likly have just a good a grip as a 17. But once again if you wanna run 17's or 18's that's up to the driver.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesn't the tire generally weigh less than the wheel? That would mean that larger wheels = less weight. Also, the larger the wheel, the wider you can go, which means more traction. I don't know, I guess I could be wrong, I just don't like he says it's ricey to have coilovers and 18's, when in reality, someone who had those with all the other suspension mods as him would probably outhandle him.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
My personal preference is a lightweight 17" It is true that 16's are probably the best bet for performance, as most racing compound tires only come in 16 and smaller, but for street tires, a low profile tire on a 17 is going to handle almost identical to the 16". Also, because of the popularity of the "big wheels" many aftermarket manufacturers are focusing on 17, 18 and 19 wheels, which gives you a better chance of finding one you like that is also lightweight.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
I don't know, I guess I could be wrong, I just don't like he says it's ricey to have coilovers and 18's, when in reality, someone who had those with all the other suspension mods as him would probably outhandle him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very untrue. The only advantage to coilovers is that higher spring rates and custom valving is more readily available for them. A setup of custom tuned Koni Sport w/ custom valving for high spring rates (500-800 front, 300-500 rear) will handle just the same as any setup of coilovers. Adjusting ride height is not a big plus 99% of the time. I think this part of his statement was directed towards how a lot of the newer MK4 owners buy them just so they can say "I have coilovers".

And in regards to the wheels, no on MKIV's or any generation of dubs, 17's, 18's, and 19's will not handle better, in fact they will handle worse. On a MKIV you can only fit a certain overall diameter wheel in there. To go with a properly sized tire on a 19, or 18, you are going with a EXTREMELY small sidewall diameter. This will increase bump steer and will be much harder to drive appropriately. Plus you have to realize that these large wheels add tremendous amounts of weight to the car. That is why you will see most cars in highly modified classes in SCCA events running 13, 14, and 15 inch wheels.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hey I'm not all about bashing anyone for what they do to their dub. So long as they don't do anything extreme like, putting VTEC logos on them, or Electronic BOV noise makers. I remember seeing a Daewoo with VTEC stickers on it. WTF?!?! So help the guy that has a VTEC sticker on a dub...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts