VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys and Gals.
I have done lots to my car but i was wondering if anyone can help me up grade my speakers and amp. I spoke with lighting audio this morning and they say you have to change the whole system. I want my factory head unit to stay but upgrade everything else that cant be seen. I hope you guys understand what i mean. My cars looks very much stock from the outside. well almost. but it fast as hell. much like a wolf in a sheep's skin

Let me know if any of you have any experience with this thanks
nav

·
Registered
676 Posts
Honestly from what I've seen on another install done at TriState's shop the only real logical route would be to use the wiring from the factory amp to the speakers and connect them to an aftermarket amp. Those connections would then tap right into your factory locations to where you would have the aftermarket product. From there it's just a fact of making the replacements and much needed rewiring to make the headunit control the output to your aftermarket amplifier. Sounds like alot but it's just using the factory stuff to go from the amp to the speakers....the amp would let you flow out the sound to your speakers.
Hope that helps!

·
Registered
777 Posts
i promice im not trying to be a d/h but, why do you keep the factory h/u? when i changed mine out it made so much difference, no hissing, no super-loud midrange, rca imputs and outputs, sub controll, REMOTE(couldent live without it), it fixes vw's wiring f-up(its only on some cars) and you can change back if you ever sell your car, and sony makes one that matches our dash lights to a T i got panasonic, and it matches my blue, but the sony matched better, like i said im not trying to start an argument or be negative in any way, ive just seen a few people keep it and kinda want to know why

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Here's what I did: I got a Kenwood eXcelon head unit, with a kenwood eXcelon amp running 2 Infinity Kappa 12" subs, an Alpine V12 amp running Boston Acoustics Pro series speakers. I used the factory wires to go from the amp to the speakers (I heard getting the wire into the doors is a BITCH in VWs). That is what I would suggest (subs optional). Good luck, and let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i got a panasonic 6 disk that plugs right into the back of the car. its so easy. then i ran wires from my stock headunit to an amp and i have a sub and amp. sounds great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just put a new head unit in mine and it made a huge difference in sound. It sounds so much better. We were going to put new speakers in it then we decided it wasn't necesarry.
Don

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok Marcus and friends.
I know it sounds weird but i dont know why i want to keep the clean face and lines inside. thanks for all the advice. you guys are changing my mind slowly. i will need to sit on it fot a while.
thanks guys
nav

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you're going to do it, do it right (factory head unit looks nice in your dash but sounds like s***)....

New head unit/amp and speakers are pretty easy to install. The old head unit pops right out with the factory removal tools (I got my dealer to pop it free for me), the doors and all interior panels come off lickity-split. Might as well run new speaker wires while you are at it....it's pretty simple, no harder in the mkiv than in any other car. And there's tons of room under the door sills for wiring.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! I'd recommend you try to plan out everything you'll want now, so you can take care of installing everything in one foul swoop. And remember, always run power and signal on opposite sides of the car....

·
Registered
65 Posts
well i just installed my front stage like 2 weeks ago. it went pretty smooth. but if you are worried about making it to where everythin will go back stock. you will have to make rings for your front speakers. they wont just be able to sit in there. and my clarion h/u made a lot of diffrence than my factory plus if you are worried on the lights on it, it is almost a perfect match.

·
Registered
676 Posts
So far all I've done in mine is put the Alpine CVA-1005 indash tv. The built in amp combined with the factory sounds awesome to me. Adding the JL audio stealthbox with either a JL audio amp or Alpine amp is all i plan on doing now for more bass! Not going for beef, just want the good sound.

·
Registered
777 Posts
as far as plans go im going to keep every one of my factory components until somthing blows, as far as subs go, im going with 3 audiobahn 10's, i dont know quite how i want the box to look yet, but i have alot of time to think while i get some money up, i still have a bunch of other stuff to pay for...

[ September 24, 2003: Message edited by: Midnight VR6 ]

·
Registered
735 Posts
Get ready to roll your eyes...

I still have some tapes (mixes I made awhile back) that I listen to so I want to keep my tape/single CD stock head.

So here's my query... is there one like a Sony or some decent color matched model with tape and CD that would also work with the VW six-changer?

I'm not demanding a super high performance sound system, the stock one in my GLS sounds decent, but I do want to add a sub. (Hifonics amp and a Image Dynamics 10")

1 - 12 of 12 Posts