VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the process to change the front brakes on my TDI to VR6 brakes? I think I will just need new wheels (bigger) and calipers and rotors from a VR6...maybe lines.
Can anyone tell me for sure?

Jaclyn

[ February 16, 2004: Message edited by: Past_VNE ]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know, sorry. I'm thinking of upgrading my vr6's to wilwoods. I like your quote. I should save the money on a plane.
Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

One other quick question...
How does tire size effect ride? We are thinking about putting 18s on it but would do 17s if recommended...although, I can't imagine the difference is that great.

Jaclyn

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
you will probably need the calipers, caliper mounts, and rotors, as well as the pads and possibly the lines.

18" rims will do alright, but just know that 17" rims will give you a more comfortable ride and possibly a little better acceleration.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
To convert a TDI (or 2.0) to bigger VR6/1.8T brakes, you need the following:

Steering Knuckles (wheel bearing housing)
Wheel Bearings
Calipers
Caliper Carriers
Rotors
Pads

The stock 2.0/TDI steering knuckles (also known as a wheel bearing housing) have the caliper carriers cast into them, so the entire assembly has to be ditched in order to upgrade.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Is that conversion worth the money? I would think you might as well just buy a TT big brake kit or something similar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
Is that conversion worth the money? I would think you might as well just buy a TT big brake kit or something similar.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I asked what it was going to take...you guys answered that..

Now give me the answer to the above question and the approx. cost.

You guys are really a great resource and appreciate it.

Jaclyn

·
Registered
32 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Past_VNE:
Thanks!

One other quick question...
How does tire size effect ride? We are thinking about putting 18s on it but would do 17s if recommended...although, I can't imagine the difference is that great.

Jaclyn

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went from 15s to 16s and noticed that the ride harshed up a bit because of the shorter, stiffer side walls of the new tires. Of course, the vastly improved road feel more than made up for it. I imagine you would feel a similar change going from 16 to 17 and more so going form 16 to 18.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I dont know exactly where you could buy all the parts for factory VR6/1.8T brakes other than a dealership or a junk yard. I'd imagine it would be very overpriced at the dealership, and used at a junk yard. My suggestion would be a big brake kit. Look here: TT Brake Upgrade

1 - 10 of 10 Posts