VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i got a 2003 GTI 1.8T with about 3500km on it so far and i just wanted to get some opinions on some mods for my car. i am trying to decide whether or not i should get an intake installed. i was looking at the K&N intakes on their site and i would like to know the difference between the typhoon air intake system and the fuel injection intake.

if there is any other advice you would like to give me on other mods i should really focus on getting done i would appreciate it.

also i live in toronto.ontario.canada and i wanted to know where i could buy zenon bulbs for my car and if anyone can understand the PIAA website with their 10 different kinds of bulbs please post!!!

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
WELCOME TO VWF!

I would say you might have the best luck with a Carbonio Cold Air Intake. Those seem to be what most people go for around here. You could also check out ABD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
also what about blow out valves. what difference do they make regarding performan and the well being of the car?

·
Registered
526 Posts
blow offs normally send some check engine ligths off or something..at least thats what ive heard. get the larger diverter valve and im sure your going to looking at some gains.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
If you get it chipped, you will need the BOV though, otherwise it won't handle the boost provided byt he chip.

·
Registered
473 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by doni:
also what about blow out valves. what difference do they make regarding performan and the well being of the car?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A BOV could actually hurt performance in a way and slightly reduce HP. Stick with the stock diverter valve or upgrade it in hopes of longer life. Additionally you will NOT see gains with any of the above. The intake is also a hot issue for the 1.8T. Some argue that it has proven 5 hp gains, others say low end is lost. I personally agree with the 2nd opinion and have opted for just a drop in filter from K&N. However if you seek the whoosh sound a BOV provides, you will get a similar sound from an intake.

However - if you are looking for true gains for your $$$ get it chipped! It is still the best bang for the buck for any 1.8T. For more info check www.goapr.com, or www.aptuning.com.

Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts