VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I recently bought a 2002 volkswagen gti 1.8t. It has the monsoon audio system with stock amp in it, and I must say I have never heard worse quality in a car audio system before (there is almost no bass whatsoever). I don't know if it is damaged or what but its terrible. So I am planning on upgrading the sound system (head unit, amp, and two 12" subwoofers). I have already picked out the amp and subs that I am wanting, as well as the head unit (going with single din for now), but I am having a very difficult time finding a correct mounting kit and wiring harness for this car. So my question is, what mounting kit/wiring harness do you guys use for your mk4 golf gti's, and where can I get one? The only one that I have found that seems like it would work is this: VW Car Stereo CD Player Radio Dash Installation Trim Pocket Kit Wiring Harness | eBay

My concern is that in the listing for this item it states that it will not work for the monsoon stereo system. So does this mean it will not hook up to the monsoon head unit? If so then that doesn't matter as I do not plan on utilizing any piece of the stock stereo system other than the stock speakers. I'll be taking out the stock amp and head unit. I'm going to be using a Kenwood single din head unit, so will this work or will it not? And if not, where can I get the correct mounting kit/wiring harness for this car? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
if you're running a new head unit, you can pretty much use whatever you want as long as it is the right gauge and length for the application. I just added subs and ran an inline converter for the stock head unit to rca's and monster cable basic sub install kit, couple RF punch 10" and a truck box w/ ports to keep the trunk space and spare access. works great on the bass, but mids and tweets suck. need to upgrade them soon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have a look at the Alpine PDX -V9 amp its a 5 Channel that will run four speakers and a single sub. It may fit in the stock amp location. Very nice amp. I ran one in my camaro and it sounded awesome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you're running a new head unit, you can pretty much use whatever you want as long as it is the right gauge and length for the application. I just added subs and ran an inline converter for the stock head unit to rca's and monster cable basic sub install kit, couple RF punch 10" and a truck box w/ ports to keep the trunk space and spare access. works great on the bass, but mids and tweets suck. need to upgrade them soon.
What? I'm just trying to find out what head unit MOUNTING KIT I need. Because I'm taking out the monsoon double din and putting in an aftermarket single din head unit...

·
Registered
47 Posts
"having a very difficult time finding a correct mounting kit and wiring harness for this car."

sorry I focused on the wiring aspect, honestly didn't even read the mounting kit setup. I am of no help, sorry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No worries man. But believe me, I've been all over amazon and ebay looking for these and none of them are clear on whether they would work or not. The only one I found that seems legit says stuff like "these won't work with the monsoon head unit" which is confusing. I'm not sure if it is saying that if your car has the monsoon system it will not work, or if you are trying to use the kit to install the monsoon head unit it will not work. Because I have monsoon but I am taking it out of my car. I just figured someone on here would have already switched out their head unit and could give me a link to a kit that will work without a doubt.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
alot of times its due to the "k" wire is why they dont directly say itll work.

just go to best buy and have them install it. its like 100 bucks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
^x2 same deal w/ my denali w/ bose. just easier to let them do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I work for Best Buy customer service and I am definitely not letting anyone from Best Buy near my car lol.
I just wanted to install it myself because I'm buying a system with a credit card and don't want to pay someone hundreds of dollars on top of the cost of the head unit, subs, and amp just to hook it up when I'm paying with credit. But I guess I'm going to have to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts